Canal Walk - Limehouse Basin (circular 6 miles) via Stratford

The Entrance to The Royal Foundation
of St Katharine
I have currently escaped home and family and am having some chilling time. My purpose, apart from relaxing, is to spend time walking, reading and writing. Without the interruptions of home I'm amazed at how much I'm doing.

I think friends think I'm crazy going away on my own but I really enjoy it, but it has to be the right place. I've not gone far afield and have chosen to stay at The Royal Foundation of St Katharine based in Limehouse, just beyond the Tower of London - Docklands area. My accommodation is basic but has everything I need. Due to the fact that this is used as a Christian retreat house (as well as a conference centre) there are no TV's in the bedrooms. However, I have my laptop and have been catching up with programmes!

My room overlooks the busy road. It appears never to sleep and in the evenings it is congested, horns blare, sirens wail and the police were trying to edge through the cars just now. Something is always 'going down' in London. Some rooms overlook the lovely gardens here. If I come again I'd try for one of those but I'm happy because I'm nosy and am always looking out of the window to see what all the noise is about!

St Katharine's is named after that firework (Catherine Wheel). Poor woman came to a horrible end. I don't wish to dwell but if you want to know Google it! The property is part of a complex by Limehouse DLR and has lovely lounges, a chapel and breakfast room where a buffet breakfast can be enjoyed. This morning I had a selection of fruit and two rolls with marmalade. The lounges are quiet. Yesterday I sat and read for an hour and today I was down there for a couple of hours. There is a Tesco Express over the road and I stocked up on some food for tonight.

Today's main activity was a six mile circular walk from Limehouse Basin and  Limehouse Cut up towards Three Mills Island and on to Stratford, passing the Olympic Stadium (now home to West Ham Football Club)  before following the River Lea for a while and turning to run parallel to Victoria Park (where I stopped for lunch and comfort break). I then rejoined at the same place and walked along the Regent's Canal, passing Mile End Park and back to Limehouse. For this trip I bought myself a foldaway day sack. It's brilliant! So light and easy to carry essentials. And I was glad of my fleece lined walking trousers because it was very cold. In fact parts of the canal was iced over all day and one or two sections of downhill path were slippery. There were many locks to observe, the sun shone all day and the only hazard was avoiding the joggers and bikers! I was in awe of the reflections, the ice, the birds and the shimmering water.

From this

to this
Stupidly I set off without spare batteries for camera and after taking a few shots I had to change to my mobile camera. Even that was running low on battery towards the end but held out. I did have a back-up. I was carrying  my tablet! I didn't need it but I did take tons of photos! Here is just a small selection.

(This walk features in the Thames Path - London book [Official National Trail Guide] p. 124. I ended up walking it the opposite way to that specified in the book! )

From my window - the quietest time!

Limehousse Basin

Beware of ice

Limehouse Cut

Limehouse Cut
Three Mills Island (dates back to 12th century)



Olympic Stadium (now home of 'the Hammers')

Fish Island

Victoria Park

Mile End Park

Lock before Limehouse Basin - end of the walk

Comments