Vegan Ice Cream and some thoughts on different diets

As soon as I saw that Alpo were making an ice cream it was....gotta have that! I treated myself to a tub for my birthday. It is yummy. Having eaten the Swish Glaze Ice Cream I'd say it's like that except that maybe it doesn't melt quite as quickly.

I admit that I'm a poor attempted vegan! I had some cheese today in sandwich with beetroot and sometimes when out I do opt for the cheese or egg (in sandwiches) as there is no alternative without trailing friends across town trying to find what I need. I'm a bit weak aren't I?

Last night at book club we were discussing food. One lady said how on a trip to the Ritz for tea (as you do!) she announced her friend was - a Jewish diabetic who was a vegetarian and celiac. The waiter didn't bat an eyelid and replied 'we can cope with anything madam', whereupon she said she was only joking just to see what response she got! Another lady talked about going to a restaurant and had phoned to ask if they do gluten free food and was told yes, but when they arrived the waiter grunted and scurried off to find another menu. When the food arrived there was some bread on the plate. She asked if was gluten free. The waiter said 'no' and promptly leaned over and took the offending bread off the plate with his hand. Hmmm!

Of course my diet is a life choice (and taste choice) rather than a life threatening condition but I know how frustrating this can be. Uninformed counter/waiting staff - how difficult is it to train in the basics? My hubby is a diabetic - the two of us could cause a right scene between us. He asks about carbohydrate values (confused faces). Costa once gave my hubby their whole food file and let him get on with it! I've had people having to defer and then admit they don't know (safer not to order it) and a counter assistant bringing a whole slab of cheese out the fridge for me to inspect!

Sometimes I'm just not brave enough and will just order the best guess item. Yet things are improving. Veganism is growing fast and maybe one day I will get there. It's just when I'm stuck, hungry and want something fast I eye up the eggs in the fridge, or my son's takeaway pizza and give in. I am a good vegetarian - got that one. Veganism needs work.


Comments