Bank Holiday break in sunny Sussex

Brighton Marina at sunset
I don't usually do anything at August Bank Holiday but this year a friend invited me to stay with her at her holiday apartment in the Marina at Brighton. I love it there. Just looking out over the water I find calming and I'd happily sit there all day reading.

So, on Friday we headed down there. The motorway was busy, mainly queuing to to join it, but it wasn't too bad. We had some tentative plans but no schedule. The weather was gorgeous for the whole of the weekend - hot and sunny. I could hardly believe it.

On Saturday we headed out to Rottingdean, a favourite place of ours, to walk in the footsteps of Rudyard Kipling and go into the countryside on a circular walk starting in the town. When we got to the top of hill the valley spread out before us, fields of different patterns and shades. It was quite breathtaking. The scenery reminded me of an Eric Ravilious painting. We sat down to eat our lunch and take in the view. Although we somehow lost the pathway on the way back it was easy enough to find our way back and we had views of Saltdean to the left.


From Rottingdean we drove to Seaford as we learned that the museum (in the Martello Tower on the seafront) was open that day. We'd always missed it before so this was a good opportunity to catch it at last. Filled with sea-fearing things and exhibits from the past like old radios, TV's, computer etc. it felt like my past was coming back to haunt me! It was well worth a visit for £2 (concession). We stood on the top of the Martello Tower where the cannon is situated and admired Seaford's seafront and the cliff walk. After the museum we walked up the cliff for the spectacular views back down. At the top we could see the beautiful Seven Sisters which I'd only ever seen on postcards. It really is something to observe. Down below not far away is Birling Gap where the next day a toxic cloud caused over 100 people to need medical treatment due to the effects of the cloud drifting along the shoreline all the way to Eastbourne and Pevensey. I texted my brother when I heard to check he was okay as he works in Eastbourne. Thankfully he was fine.

Seaford Museum



Seaford


Seven Sisters

Looking back at Seaford


Sunday saw us visiting Monk's House in Rodmell. This house is the former home of the author Virginia Woolf. Having been to Charleston last year (home of the Bloomsbury Group of which Virginia was part) we were keen to visit her house. I fell in love with it. There are less rooms to view here but they are decorated in that Bloomsbury style, though a little less OTT. There are a lot of Duncan Grant pieces here - a picture, two tables to name but two. Outside is a lovely garden and orchard and Virginia's garden writing room. I could happily live in this house! From Monks House we drove on to Lewes, a few miles down the road and had afternoon tea at Anne of Cleves House.

Monk's House, Sitting Room

Tiled table by Duncan Grant made using Wedgwood blank tiles
and returned to Wedgwood for firing.

Virginia Woolf's bedroom
(decoration around fireplace by Vanessa Bell)

Another bedroom shot

The back of  Monk's House

The Hothouse
Yesterday (Monday) we walked along the seafront to Brighton. It was hot and busy and we only went as far as close to the pier when we decided it was too busy for us and we turned around and walked back to the Marina! In the afternoon we drove out to the village of Steyning - another village I love. I found The Dolls House, and spent ages looking in the shop windows. The shop was closed (maybe just as well). I still regret getting rid of my dolls house. My dad wallpapered the walls and it had little bulbs to light it and bits of floor coverings. I bought furniture and dolls house sized metal plates with imitation food. It was my favourite thing. And now here was a shop with everything you can think of. I don't have room for a dolls house but if I did I know where I would go!

Brighton seafront

The new zipwire on Brighton seafront

Steyning





Today we returned. The weekend was soon over but it was a lovely break with excellent weather. There was time to chat and laugh, sight-see, walk and read. Perfect.


Comments