Tea on the bus - a unique London tour by B Bakery

A while back I said that there was a special trip coming up. Yesterday that took place. One of my good friends was born the same year and fifteen days apart from my birthday. We have done joint birthday trips before as presents to each other, one of which was The Hampton Court Flower Show. Yesterday we had tea on a London bus.

Actually it was lunch as we set off from Northumberland Avenue at 12.30pm. The company that runs this trip is London B Bakery and there is a choice of menu from standard to Halal, gluten free and vegetarian. We chose the vegan menu. We could have also chosen Champagne to go with our food but we stuck to tea (with soya milk, of course).

The two tiered savoury and sweet assortment tray (vegan)

Still recovering from this chesty virus thing I was determined to dress up a bit and as my mother might have said 'wear a flock'. The weather first thing yesterday morning was rainy but the forecast promised it would clear up. I waited as long as I could to shower as I'd nailed it down to three outfits! I did wear my frock and travelling into London on the train the clouds parted and the sun poked through. We were lucky as it was warm and sunny most of the day.

The Route Master bus arrived at the boarding point and were were greeted by our two waiters. We'd booked a table upstairs and when we got there the tea was already laid out on the table. It looked so pretty. The bus was decorated and our hosts were very attentive. Our tea arrived in reusable cups with nice screw lids (we did wait for the bus to stop to attempt to add milk!) and there were holders on table to secure the cups.


We set off on our circular tour of London which came with commentary and music in between. We took photos and our waitress took some of us together. The food was lovely and just as I thought the food was over the scones and jam arrived! I have to say we took those home for later as we were full. They do supply little boxes for this, though we'd gone ready supplied! We were also told we could take home our reusable cup, which I was thrilled about as a lovely one and has the logo on it.

The tour takes in Mable Arch, Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, the side of Buckingham Palace, Harrods and the Royal Albert Hall, as well as driving past some famous Hotels like the Ritz and the Dorchester, statutes and gardens like Kensington, Hyde Park and Green Park. My friend and I had often spoken about going on one of those open top tour buses but this was something special. Those people on the tour buses eyed us up as we slipped by them with our cakes and tea. I was inclined to wave!
Prince Albert Monument

After the tour we went for a slow walk along Southbank and visited the Windrush Exhibition at the OXO Tower. Well worth a look.

By the way, we found out about the B Bakery by accident when in London a little while ago. We saw the bus standing on Northumberland Avenue and thought what a good idea. We took a photo of the bus at the time and later we checked it out online. We had it booked within days. It was a lovely trip. Something unique and fun. I'm now thinking about next year. What can we do next?!


The top deck



The reusable cup

What I had no room for came home to be eaten later!

Comments