Book Review - The House by the Thames - a rather personal journey

The House by the Thames by Gillian Tindall. I didn't realise when I borrowed this library book how much of it would mingle with my own history. I knew it was about one house on the South Bank but I didn't realise that I knew this house, had walked passed it numerous times and had a photo of it.

I'm not exactly a child of the South Bank, but I live on the south side of the Thames. However, my maternal grandfather's family did live there - in Bermondsey, by the now built over 'lost river' of Neckinger, and where leather factories abounded. When I was there with my brother some years ago only one factory remained, an old mill. The road where my great grandfather, his parents and siblings lived was demolished to make way for a council estate. They lived in one of the poorest parts and the stink from the leather factories and the sewer strewn Thames must have been dreadful.

Gillian Tindall's excellent book covers the period from approximately the mid 18th century to the 1990's. In the 1700's the site of 49 Bankside appeared to have been a pub named the Cardinal's Hat/Cap and was later re-built/turned into a house. In those days the south bank had numerous wharves and docks, gardens and fish ponds - the latter two part of an estate. The Bishop of Winchester had an estate there too.
Where the Neckinger River meets the Thames

The author guides the reader through 450 years of changes not only to London (specifically south bank of the Thames) but the occupants of the house at number 47. These included the building of bridges, frost fairs on the frozen Thames (when the lightermen couldn't work and their families were near to starvation), the coming of other industries (particularly coal) and the coming of gas lighting. The house also survived two world wars. Several times the house was at a point where it might have been lost, like those adjoining it, but each time someone came to its rescue and it is still in use today. It laid claims to being the house where Wren stayed while overseeing the rebuilding of St Paul's Cathedral, and where Catherine of Aragon spent a night. These claims (false) may well have saved it. We get to meet the families (including the Sells who went into business with Charringtons - coal merchants). We see the decoration change, rooms divided and put back and meet the actress Anna Lee who lived there with her husband just before the second world war. There are various old maps and photos and the family tree of the Sells family. A well researched book,

This is also the world of Dickens. The scene from Oliver Twist where Bill Sikes meets his end was set in a dock close to where my grandfather's family lived. While I was researching my family history I came across lots of interesting facts about the area and enjoyed walking through places where my ancestors lived. I even saw the wall of the prison where Dicken's father spent time. There is an estate name after the author.

My great grandfather was an electrical light fitter and my family told me that he was in at the start of electricity. His father was a boot maker - a business associated with the leather mills so prolific on the Thames side. The family was a huge one, due to my great, great grandfather having married twice. I think I found 16 children! I feel I need to do some more research now after reading this book.

This was an insightful read in more ways than one. I am still a regular on the South Bank. I've walked the Thames Path all the way to Woolwich (from Shepperton). I often visit the Royal Festival Hall, usually for a refreshment and comfort break, but also I've used the Poetry Library there and attend events. I've even sung there as part of their Chorus month. I never pass up the opportunity to rummage through the bookstalls under the arches of Waterloo Bridge and enjoy the walk down to Tate Modern and along to the Globe which is situated just about next door to 49 Bankside featured in the book.  For me reading this book was a bit of a personal journey.

I cannot find the photo I took outside number 49 Bankside, but here is a photo I took from
the North Bank looking across the The Globe Theatre.
Just to the right past the red board is a tall, slim white house - that is number 49 Bankside!

The one remaining Mill, Bermondsey.
(apologies for the quality of the photo - it's was taken pre-digital camera!


The remaining prison wall (the prison Charles Dicken's father spent time)


Comments