Pocket Park Walk (3)

Under here is the Roman Bath House
Yesterday was the third in the Pocket Park series. We met outside Mansion House tube station where we were told that this walk was looking at the American connection with trees, plants and other things. We headed off first to a lovely park over two levels. Beneath it lies the largest Roman Bath House ever found. One day maybe it will be ready to open to the public, but for the moment no work is going on there.

We to St Paul's to look at some trees (sorry I can't remember what they were!) and then over the road to a small area outside some office buildings. The garden is hiding an underground car park and as the thickness of top soil is not that deep plants and trees which don't have deep root systems have been used.

This park cover the underground car park
Also not far from St Paul's Cathedral there was a square by another church where a statue stands of John Smith of Pocahontas fame. Though some of his stories had a ring of truth about them he was know for exaggeration. He was quite a character and helped to standardise the language of settlers in the USA. His native Indian cloak, or mantle, which he wore can now be viewed in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford. Pocahontas herself married John Rolfe, who was a widower with a young son. Baptised Rebecca she died aboard ship between Plymouth and Gravesend. She is buried in St George's Church, Gravesend. If you want to read the whole story see here.

John Smith
We set off down narrow alleyways and found other small gardens including one with some super benches that had been crafted by carpentry students. Just a shame there are no names and even the college has no record of who made each one. Most are in the Gothic style as the church which once stood there (St Pancras) obviously was Gothic.

Benches on the former site of St Pancras Church



We did go back to some gardens we looked at last week but to look at different things (mainly the planting) and then we approached Guildhall from a direction I'm not familiar with. On route I noticed an alleyway with some old buildings. We didn't go down there so I tried to remember where it was so I could return and investigate.

Near Guildhall  we viewed the first piece of public art that wasn't dedicated to a dignitary. (see picture below)



After the walk I returned to those places I wanted to look at again and I did manage to find the alleyway I saw earlier and get a photo of the beamed buildings.

The alleyway of beamed buildings
(I believe it's called Mason's Alley or Avenue)

Ah, life before mobiles! (Near Guildhall)

This is one of newest pocket parks (there was still work going on)
London Wall Place
I found this on my own by accident!


The former St Alphage Church, London Wall Place

I've just found a great Pocket Park article online which covers quite a few of the parks I've been to in the last three weeks and they even have a photo of the Handkerchief Tree in Postman's Park (taken earlier in the year). There are some gardens here I've not been to, though I believe we are off to St Dunstan's in the East next week (I have been there before). I'll have to look the others up if we don't visit next week! To see the article click here.


Comments