Three Exhibitions and some moon photos!

Birmingham Museum and
Art Gallery
I recently went to Birmingham to meet up with my cousin and we spent most of the time at the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery. I'd been keen for a long time to see their Pre-Raphaelite collection (the largest in the country) and was not disappointed. They have some wonderful Edward Burne Jones paintings along with Ford Madox Brown and Millais as well as two chairs designed by William Holman Hunt. A spot of swooning was in order!

We looked at other things too. I particularly enjoyed the part dedicated to the history of Birmingham and the Staffordshire Hoard. We ate in the Edwardian Tearoom, a magnificent area. We ended the day with a quick trip to the Library for a cup of tea. Birmingham is a bit of a building site with hoardings and cranes. It's all due to be finished in the autumn of next year. I'm sure it will all look great.

Two chairs designed by William Holman Hunt

Birmingham once looked like this!

Birmingham Library


Earlier this week I went with a friend to the Summer Exhibition at the Royal Academy. This is always an enjoyable day out. This time it was in 31c heat but the Royal Academy was well air conditioned. My favourite room is always the architectural one because I love the little building. That wonderful miniature world. There are the great exhibits and the ones you really wonder about. All I can say is that if I find a domestic appliance I no longer need I might just doctor it and send it in next year! I still can't get over the ironing board exhibit.

One of my favourite artists, Anselm Kiefer, had a painting exhibited. I love the way he uses an assortment of object for a tactile look. I always want to touch his paintings. Always a collection of the weird and wonderful. Here are some of favourites.


Islington




By Anselm Kiefer

The Bits Constable Left Out!


This morning I headed over to Dulwich Picture Gallery to see the Edward Bawden exhibition. This is a splendid collection of paintings, posters, book covers and linocuts. Such a talented man, and one with a sense of humour in his art. He was a good friend of Eric Ravilious and was taught by Paul Nash (I admire both these artists greatly). A brilliant exhibition, so brilliant I bought the exhibition book!


Finally, although cloud prevented me from taking any photos of the blood moon last night I did take some other moon photos. My son, who came home around 3am, woke me up clattering around. I could see by the lightness in the bedroom that the cloud had cleared. I went to look out of the bathroom window then went downstairs to grab my camera. I took loads of photos. These are some of the best.







Comments