Brixton, Electric Avenue and Brockwell Park

Brixton has been on my list for some time and having discovered that the exhibition I was going to see had already finished (should have checked the dates) I wondered what to do instead. Then it came to me....Brixton.

The birthplace of David Bowie and the road (Electric Avenue) Eddie Grant made famous many years ago, Brixton really turned out to be everything and more of what I expected. I loved it. With such a diverse mix of cultures the markets (indoor and outdoor) were interesting and colourful. I loved looking at all the fruits and veg (I've experimented with yams and plantains in the past and yesterday I had some vegan street food which included jackfruit),and I was very tempted to buy a necklace from a shop in the indoor market (maybe I will go back some time).

From the town I headed towards Brockwell Park. It's a little walk but pleasant and definitely worth it. The park is lovely. You forget you are in London, though you do get a rather fine view from the hill right across to central London. There are ponds and bridges in the park, and all the wildfowl had babies in tow. There are tennis courts, a play park and a wonderful walled garden where I sat enjoying the colourful flowers and listening to the bees.

Brockwell House is now a cafe and this is where I had a tasty lunch before heading towards Herne Hill station, which was close by, for my train back home. As a last minute decision Brixton and the park turned out to be a great choice.









Electric Avenue



Brockwell Park




Cygnets 



The Walled Garden







Brockwell House



Looking towards central London

At Brixton main line station (platform)

On the platform



Comments