Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum

Back in the 1970's and early 80's I went along to Wimbledon to watch the tennis. Buying a day pass got you into the outside courts and then, if you were lucky, people leaving the other courts for the day might hand you their ticket. You  might get into the standing section too. This happened a few times including the time I got into Number One Court. I remember it as a boiling hot day and the friend I was with said she couldn't stand it and refused to go in. I wasn't going to miss this so I did go in. It was sniffling but worth it, though now I can't remember who I saw!

All these years later I headed off to Wimbeldon Lawn Tennis Museum with a friend. I'd never been there before, nor had I come in through that main gate. I must have entered by another gate nearer the outside courts. You can book a tour. That costs £25 (£21 for concessions), but my friend and I just paid £11 (£13 full price) for the museum which included a visit to Centre Court.

Centre Court looks much smaller when you are there than when you see it on TV. All the bulbs were being tested while we were there with men dangling on ropes like a pack of abseilers. We were only allowed to stand where told, though I did try out one of the tip-up seats - nice and padded! We were told that the roof takes 12 minutes to close and then time is needed to bring it up to the right atmosphere. Coming back out there are framed photos in the tunnel of last years winners as well as other photos.

My friend and I then had lunch in the cafe. Really nice food - we had sweet potato and apple soup, tasty and spicy. This seems to be the place the staff use, or perhaps those using the conference facilities. After lunch we headed to the museum (there is an audio guide available) where we learned how tennis began and the fact that Wimbledon started out as a croquet club. There is still a croquet lawn there somewhere. There is tons of memorability and racquets from the very first to the current ones. There are interactive displays, tennis fashion through the ages and a tunnel showing the typical day at Wimbledon during tennis fortnight. Everything you want to know about tennis and it's players is here.

After the museum we had a stroll through the shop. As you would expect things are very expensive. A tee shirt will set you back £32. The cheapest things are the pens and key rings etc. In the end I settled on a very practical pair of Wimbledon tennis socks that I can wear at my short tennis class on a Friday. They cost me £8.

Already everyone is busy gradually getting ready for Wimbledon fortnight - marquees are being built and there are lots of men in hard hats and high vis jackets roaming around. You can reach the museum from Southfields tube station. It isn't far to walk and it is signposted outside the station. Buses also run from Wimbledon town.


Me and Fred Perry!



This is building housing the museum and shop


Centre Court


Last years winners

In the museum - it was croquet first at Wimbeldon


Imagine playing in that get up, especially the corset


A typical Wimbledon day is explained here


Mens Cup

Comments