Bourton-on-the-Water and Stow-on-the-Wold

A foggy Bourton-on-the-Water

 Many mornings began in a foggy haze, and no that wasn't me, even after the euphoria of winning at skittles (part of the evening entertainment). During my week away in Bourton, there was one free day. Strangely, I was up earlier than usual because I wanted to go and photograph Bourton in the fog before the sun burned it off.




I seem to have been transported to Easter Island.
This was in a pub garden


The day started cold and I needed my hat. I wandered around a near empty Bourton. Even the shops weren't open. After I'd taken my photos, I found an antique shop open and had a look around. The shop had a little cafe, but the owner was reeling off all her moans to either a customer or friend, but the other person never got a word in the whole time I was there. I'm afraid I didn't want to disturb her tirade, so I left. The afternoon before, after returning from our guided walk, I found myself in a card and stationery shop, which was also a post office. I had the urge to do some sketching and bought myself a sketch pad and a pack of crayons. Today, I had brought them with me. Bourton has very lovely buildings, and it's quite funny because while I'm not much of an artist I've realised I've started to look at things is terms of how to draw them. Unfortunately, they never match up to the thoughts when I put pencil to paper!




The view I was trying to capture in my sketch.

It was still too early to venture into the Motor & Toy Museum, so I thought I'd sketch the scene - the bridge and the museum over the road. Sitting down wasn't an option as the bench was wet, so I ended up standing and trying to sketch. How did that work out? Well, I'm not going to show you! To be honest, I have a brief sketch which I intend to complete sometime. Sometime is still waiting.

Sketching filled time until the museum opened. So I put my sketch pad away in my rucksack, and my frozen fingers into my jacket pockets, and headed over. It was really stepping back in time. There's something about old cars. When I was a child, I used to collect PG Tips car cards, and I used to have a small collection of toy cars I played with (very much against the stereotypical girl). I even wanted to be a car mechanic, and I almost signed up to a night class in basic car mechanics, but backed out when I realised I'd probably be the old female there, and I didn't have the confidence back then that I do now. I wonder if today I'd recognise the inside of an engine. I learned everything I knew from my dad, and I haven't driven for several decades now. Anyway, it was lovely to see the old cars. 


Through the Tardis door into the museum






My aunt had a mini and my brother and I used to play inside it down in her garage.

This is a kid's motorbike. I'd have loved one of these.

A garage with memories



There are eight 'rooms' to view in the museum, the last few are dedicated to toys. I came across a garage that my son used to have as a child. I had to take a photo and send it to him. There were chopper bikes, scooters, toys I grew up with, a corner with music from Radio Caroline that I sometimes listened to. The museum is also home to Brum, from the children's TV show (another quick photo to send to my son). I find it funny that even my kids' past is now in museums. It's not just mine. What is it about nostalgia?

After the visit, I headed back to the hotel for my picnic lunch, after which I decided to catch the bus into Stow-on-the-Wold. It was lovely to see the Cotswolds from the bus. The journey isn't long, but enjoyable. Stow is mainly shops, pubs, tea shops and places to stay. The church I'd wanted to see was closed for refurbishment, which was disappointing. I found a shop dedicated to everything dog. Of course I had to buy Rue a chew.  Because of the bus schedule, I only stayed an hour. If I missed that bus, it was a two hour wait for the next, and there wasn't enough to keep me occupied for another two hours.  It made a good trip out, though.

The dog shop in Stow-on-the-Wold










Stocks


Library

There is one final post about Bourton to come which features a final guided walk to the Slaughters and a boat race along the River Windrush. And for those interested, I have my laptop back. Its quirk hasn't happened at all yet, but if it does, I've been reassured that it will recover. I just need to be mindful of backups. I almost hugged my laptop when I pulled it out of the box. It's home where it belongs.

Comments