Chessington World of Adventure and a Nature Rally



 It has been a weird week and very diverse. Last weekend my youngest son and his wife had their wedding blessed in church and there was a wonderful reception. The following two days we met relatives, and had a day out at Chessington World of Adventure. I didn't head for the scary rides. I left that to others. I sat with my brother-in-law who also hates fast rides, and we chatted.







Unfortunately, the safari part of the zoo was closed, but we did see a few animals, and I particularly enjoyed the Sea Life area. Here are some shots of the day.











On Saturday, I joined in with the rally in London for Restore Nature Now. Around 100,000 people marched from Hyde Park to Parliament Square where there were speeches. For me nature is so important. I had a fascination for creepy crawlies as a child and I love all animals. But their existence is being threatened by sewage poured into out rivers and seas, the way we farm, habitat loss and many other factors. When I was younger there were masses of butterflies. These days I see so few in our garden, despite planting the right flowers. I also remember when my dad used to drive us out on our regular Sunday afternoons into the Surrey countryside, his windscreen would be covered in dead insects. Insects have declined so much that doesn't happen now (not that I want insect to die, but I hope you get what I mean, that there was an abundance of insects then). Insects are the most important creatures in the whole living chain. 

My home made placard


Nature is my place of rest, my calm, and I want it to thrive. I walk by rivers, nature reserves and commons on my journeys. I write about them here. I even try to capture photos of butterflies and insects when I find them, chasing bees from one flower to the next to get a good shot. Everything in nature is linked and linked to us. We cannot be complacent. I want future generations to enjoy nature as I did growing up. So, it was important for me to be at the rally on Saturday. I would rather be doing something else, but I cannot stand by and just watch our world die. I fear it won't be the last rally I'll be on (this was my 3rd, I think), and it hasn't been easy, especially the first time I walked on one of these marches as it was well out of my comfort zone, especially as it's just me on my own. Except I'm not, I'm with thousands others who feel the same as me.

As usual the rally wasn't covered by BBC news (shame on you), though I believe Channel 4 and Sky did. We will not be ignored. We cannot afford to be ignored if we want to survive. Here are some photos of the day. For some reason thes photos have loaded up in reverse order. Sorry about that!


Parliament Square with big screen. We spilled out onto the streets.




I'm always close to the drummers!















Comments