Gardening Bohemia: Bloomsbury Women Outdoors (Garden Museum)

The Garden Museum

 The Garden Museum in Lambeth is one of my favourite places to visit. They have some interesting exhibitions, and this one particularly interested me.




The Bloomsbury Group fascinates me and I have been to most of the gardens featured in the exhibition - Charleston, Sissinghurst, Knole and Monks House. The exhibition at The Garden Museum is small but well presented with beautiful paintings, family photos, books and other items.

Painting by Mark Gertler


Mark Gertler - Garsington



Although one thinks of the Bloomsbury Group as mainly Vanessa Bell, Duncan Grant, Virginia Woolf and her husband, Leonard, they moved in a large circle. Their lives were unconventional and they had frequent affairs, both male and female.

The house I know least about is Garsington Manor, home of Lady Ottoline Morrell, who threw lavish parties. While I have read about Lady Ottoline, I have never visited the house and garden, and indeed it is not open to the public, which is a shame. Thankfully, there is information on the website and the exhibition has paintings and photos.

These women loved their gardens and actively planted and cared for them. While all the gardens are gorgeous, the one that stands out in my mind is Sissinghurst, home of Vita Sackville-West. When I was there, the tower in which Vita wrote was closed to the public, due to repairs taking place to the ceiling. I was rather gutted I couldn't see it. I was on an organised visit and could have done with longer because the garden is so large and beautifully maintained. Such an interesting place.





Knole was the Sackville-West ancestral home and is easily reached from Sevenoaks Station. It is well signposted. The grounds are spacious and there is a deer park. The house is interesting if a little imposing with its castle-like architecture.





Monks House is a cosy home with a writing shed in the garden for Virginia Woolf. Doesn't every writer wish for one of those, or a room of one's own! Leonard, her husband, enjoyed the garden, designing and planting. There is a bust of Virginia by a pond. A conservatory leans against the house and the garden overlooks the wonderful rolling fields and hills of Sussex.





Charleston is perhaps my favourite. The garden is beautiful and the house is stunning with it's arty doors painted by Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell, a light shade made from a cullender. I just love the place. It feels homely.


Vanessa Bell (left), Duncan Grant (right)

By Vanessa Bell

Painting by Duncan Grant


The exhibition had me reliving my memories of these houses and gardens and I would visit again given the opportunity. If you like what you see at this exhibition, I'd urge you to go and visit the places for real.

While at The Garden Museum, I decided to climb the tower to take in the views from the top. The steps are narrow and it is further up than you think. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath. But it is worth it for the views across the River Thames and beyond. The building itself is always of interest, being a former church. The stained glass windows are beautiful and the building feels spacious. Of course there is also the museum to gardens and gardening through the ages in the upstairs gallery. For those who want to stop for a cuppa or lunch, there is a cafe/restaurant and the all important toilets. There is also a shop.

I really enjoyed this exhibition, can't you tell?!

Interior of The Garden Museum

From main exhibition in upstairs gallery


Plans for the Eden Project, Cornwall.

Stained glass window


Views from the tower




Lambeth Palace (left) The Garden Museum (right)

Houses of Parliament and Big Ben



Comments