Been doing some really exciting stuff today like hoovering and ordering a new ironing board cover! I have a sort of 'to-do' list for the week. Remains to be seen whether I get through it.

The weather is very overcast today and a bit chilly but I hope it doesn't rain because I zapped some weeds growing in between the crazy paving of our driveway. I hate to use weedkiller but after my youngest and I spent ages digging them out about a month or so ago they have appeared in robust form. War has now been declared.

We started on some new songs at Euphonix last week. One has been especially written by one of our members and is called 'The Rose Cafe' (about us and where we sing). It's a trickly one to learn. Also resurrected 'Sullivan Street' (by Counting Crows - anyone know about them?). We've not done much on this in the past but we are going to learn it with all parts this time. My favourite new one is 'Hit The Road Jack' which has a second song woven into it and sounds fantastic already.

I would like to try and start my next poetry assignment this week. It's in two parts. The second part excites me as I have to choose some words from different poems and then use them to form a poem of my own. I did something like this once myself by picking words at random and forming them into a poem. It was interesting what came out of it.

Have read rather a lot lately! After delving into Oscar Wilde (am now half way through his 'Complete Works') I decided I needed a bit of a change and read The Evil Seed by Joanne Harris. I've read all her other books and was not disappointed by this. It is a gothic tale set in the past and the present but the story overlaps and merges. I found it difficult to put down (which is probably why I read it so quickly!). There is reference to the Pre-Rapaelites, especially Rossetti and I suddenly realised that Harris' second book (Sleep Pale Sister), also a gothic tale, fitted into this category too and the main character was called Effie (same name as John Ruskin's wife) and her husband was weird, a bit like him. Coincidence? Chocolat was her most famous book but I was also hooked on Blackberry Wine and Jigs and Reels (short stories) and Gentleman and Players (which had a great twist at the end). As you can tell I'm a fan of hers!

Following this I read The Comfort of Saturdays by Alexander McCall Smith. He is another of my favourite writers. His stories are easy reads but entertaining, amusing and I seem to learn lots of snippets of information about all sorts of things. This is another of the Isobel Dalhousie series, set in Edinburgh. In this book Isobel gets involved with others problems (as usual), becomes jealous when her lover Jamie (formerly the girlfriend on her neice who runs a deli) forms a friendship with the rather odd Nick Smart, among other things. Isobel's housekeeper rather resents it when Jamie wishes to spend more time with his and Isobel's young son Charlie (the housekeeper, Grace, looks after Charlie while Isobel works on her Review of Ethics magazine, of which she is editor and owner). A nice pleasant read.

Right, I'm off for some food and a read!

Comments