Book Review

Recently Read 'Breathing Underwater' by Julia Green.  Picked this up when Borders were closing in December as part of a 20 books for £5 deal.  They just wanted rid of as many books as possible because they were going bust and I can't resist a book offer like that!  Anyway, this book seems to be a teenage read but I loved it!  It was about Freya who was returning to see her grandparents on a remote UK island a year after her brother had died there in a drowing accident.  The story was moving, about growing up, acceptance and understanding.  The island, I'm pretty sure, was based on the Isles of Scilly, off Cornwall.  Having read a book about them last year it felt like the same place.  It's not the first time I've read a child's book and I doubt it will be the last.  If the story is good that's all that matters.  Other childrens' books I've read include 'I Am David', Anne Holm 'The Ice Child' Elizabeth McGregor and 'The Boy in Stripped Pyjamas by John Boyne, then of course there are the Harry Potter books (but I have only seen the films!).  Does anyone else read kids books?

Comments