General Update

Seeing as I've only recently started blogging again since last year, I thought perhaps a brief update might be good.  Time became dificult to fit in writing as life stuff took over.  Every so often there comes a time to think about where life is going and new things come along, things change etc. It's been a bit like that for me.  I left my voluntary job at Oxfam at the end of March to start a paid job.  That job was a big mistake and I quit after two days!  I decided to take 'time out', especially as summer was on the way and see what came along.  I have to day that far from sitting around with nothing to do my life has been even busier.  I did a short course on finding God in poetry (looking at two poets, Gerard Manley Hopkins and George Herbert).  This was through the Southwark Diocesan Spiritual Formation Group.  It was a huge challenge but enlightening.  I've continued to sing in the choir and do help at Oxfam when they are desparate but it is not my intention to return permanently.  I dropped in today to take in some books I no longer need and stopped to chat with my friends and made them a cup of tea!  It's nice that everyone makes me so welcome and I always end up doing something even if it's picking up garments that people have dropped on the shop floor.

In May I took over as Branch Leader of our Mothers' Union group at church and that has kept me very busy.  Mothers' Union is a Christian organisation - their motto 'Christian Care For Families'.  We work around the world setting up projects like literacy, parenting groups, disaster relief, training etc.  In this country we work in prisons, womens' refuges, mother and toddler groups, parenting courses and we raise money to send families away on holiday (those who are in need).  In our branches we meet for prayer and worship, social events and have speakers as well as hold fundraising events.  We have a festival service once a year in Southwark Cathedral and there are deanery events (we have 9 branches in our Deanery) as well as quiet days and retreats.  At present I am putting together the programme for September to December. I am still the Deanery Literature Rep and still on various committess at church!

Had four nights away in Brighton earlier in the month which was relaxing and fun - nice walks, picnic in the grounds of the Royal Pavilion, Adventure Golf and Bowling.


These are my son's guinea pigs, Maisie and Cocoa, in their garden run

Poetry writing has been at a bit of a sparse activity but I am sure I will get back to it when the muse takes me.  I love humour in writing so the Flash Fiction in this blog is a rather silly piece but fun for me to do!  Bits will be added as and when and I hope to improve my blog.  I've taken a look at other peoples blogs to see what they do and have taken some time over how to make it better (like the new template?), so from time to time I shall be making changes and adding other things.  Do leave comments, please!

Comments