Sorting out, sea breezes and book ends!

Yesterday I spent nearly the whole day sorting out my wardrobe.  I tried things on and discarded quite a few items but there are a pair of grey trousers I haven't worn yet, several years old.  I love them but they are too tight!  I keep trying to lose a few pounds so I can wear them.  They were a snug fit when I bought them but I've since increased in size somewhat!  At some point they will have to go unless I can be determined and lose the weight, but for now they have gone back in the wardrobe.

The non-clothes items took the longest to sort.  I keep a lot of my crafting stuff in there (mainly for card making), but it had all got such a mess.  There was a calligraphy set which I'd used but don't have a steady enough hand for so was never happy with the results, so that, along with a some other items, are going to Oxfam!  It was certainly a job crying out to be done and I am pleased that things don't fall out now when I open the door.

I've been in that kind of mood - clearing out.  Having repainted the bedrom it was a good opportunity to sort through things and have got rid of a few books and cleared out the chest of drawers.  When I get going there is no stopping me, but why is it that when you put out loads of stuff it may look more tidy but somehow it doesn't look that different?

My break at my brothers was nice.  I had one day to myself and I went into Eastbourne enjoying their selection of shops.  I visited the Musgrave museum (the collection belongs to one man) which was fascinating.  The man painted for a hobby not to sell and there are lots of lovely pictures of his including a whole set on the life of St Paul.  He also made the moulds for the 'bride and bridegroom' that sits on tops of wedding cakes, has written books and has colletions of Egyptian, Roman and  Minoan pottery, Victorian stamps, camera and early recording equipment.  From the outside the museum doesn't look much but it is a real gem.

It was a hot day.  I bought some lunch and ate it on the seafront, then walked for a bit then I met my brother at the station when he left work.  The Saturday was rather a wash out.  We'd planned to go to Seaford but it rained or drizzled most of the day so we abandoned that idea.  We did manage to go out for a walk in the afternoon.  By late afternoon the clouds cleared and the sun came out.  Sunday was much better.  The clouds cleared quickly and we went into Eastbourne and had a pub lunch and did a lovely walk along the seafront and back through the gardens.  There was a Lammas Festival on the green and we had a wander around that.  This is an 'alternative' festival, very new-agey with stalls selling 'wicca' objects, tarot readings etc.  There were some nice clothes, fairtrade stuff, book stalls etc.  We then walked back into town and I found a nice little vegetarian cafe where I was able to get my tea with soya milk!  I also had some delicious vegan fruit cake.  Now I know where it is I shall go there again.  In Brighton there is no problem finding Veggie and vegan food, Eastbourne is slower off the mark but it is good see some improvement.

Carpet Gardens, Eastbourne
I have finally finished 'A Cirlce of Sisters' and it was like leaving an old friend.  It was such a good read.  Then two nights ago I was at the house of a lady from church and her downstairs walls are papered in William Morris designs.  What a coincidence.  Morris featured in the book and I got interested in him when helping my son with a school project.  I also found out that Burne-Jones had a house in Rottingdean for many years.  I knew Rudyard Kipling lived there but this was news to me.  I've seen the Burne-Jones window in the local church but his funeral was also held there.  It was wonderful to visit those places again in the book, places I had walked round.  I felt it was a very special place then, but I had no idea of its history before my visit, I picked that up while walking around and now from the book.

I am working on a poem for a competition in the next issue of Areopagus.  It has to be entitled 'The Sea'.  I've tried a rhyming verse but it just isn't working so I switched to free verse and inspired by the poet George Herbert it is now coming together.

Comments