Writers' Day

On Saturday I went along to a Writers' Day in north west London.  It was run by the Association of Christian Writers of which I belong.  I had a nightmare journey because the Metropolitan Line Underground was not operating so I had to stay on the tube one extra stop and change to a main line train to Harrow-on-the-Hill and get a bus for last 5 or so miles.  I thought my journey would never end.  It took two and a quarter hours.  So, I was 15 minutes late but settled quickly to listen to the speaker (Nick Page http://www.nickpage.co.uk/) who writes both religious and secular books.  He was a fantastic speaker, very funny and gave us ideas about extending the range of what we write.  After a buffet lunch we had the option of two workshops so I chose 'Beginning with the Bible' - using the Bible as a tool for finding ideas to write about (stories, poems etc.) and we had a couple of goes at writing and some brave people (not me!) read out what they had written.  After the workshop it was back to the main room for a quick question and answer session and then a two hour journey home.  There were books to buy, brought along by those in the Association who had been published.  I bought a book of humorous poems by the lovely lady I sat next to in the morning and a book by Corin Child whose workshop I attended.  It was a good day but I was exhausted by the time I got home!

Comments