Pagoda, Kew Gardens
Not a very Augusty day......a cool wind, showers, a few sunny intervals......a bit different from Monday's heatwave.  This week I've been trying to catch up with some housework (unfortunately it has to be done sometime!) and some letter writing. 

I have two books on the go - one is Muhammad - A Biography of the Prophet by my favourite writer of religious books of all faiths, Karen Armstrong.  I am finding it most interesting and it coincides with the TV series that has just been on BBC2.  I've had the book a while and now seemed to be the right time to read it, especially as Muslims are in the month of Ramadan.  Islam gets a bad press but I admire the devotion of Muslims and personally I believe we can learn a lot from them.  Actually, I believe people of all faiths can learn a lot from each other.  We have much in common and from learning comes understanding.  If we understand there would be less conflict. 

The other book I'm reading is Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger (she wrote The Time Traveller's Wife). Having just finished reading a ghost story The Small Hand by Susan Hill I find this one is also a little ghostly, but a much longer story and already I am pulled into it.  Elpseth leaves her estate to her twin nieces who live in America bypasing her own twin sister.  Elpeth's flat is in Highgate, London, in a block occupied also by her lover who helps as a guide at Highgate Cemetery (over the road) and an obsessive-compulsive crossword setter.  Already I want to visit Highgate Cemetery!  I think I'm hooked.

The football season kicked off yesterday......well, League football.  I'm sure it starts earlier each year.  Tottenham played a friendly and won 2-1.  My favourite player, Gareth Bale, turned it all around when he came on in the second half   He didn't score but he was certainly involved and made things happen.  He is the new David Beckham as far as I am concerned.  Just a shame he's Welsh and can't play for England.

The sun is out all of a sudden....oh! I shouldn't have said that, it's gone in again!  I'm going to have a cup of tea.  Have a good week.

Comments