100th Post Special - What was the first record you ever bought?

Yes, this is my 100th post!  To celebrate I am sharing with you the first record I ever bought. To be exact my Mum and Dad bought it for me because this was 1962 and I was only seven. The song is The Loco-Motion by Little Eva and I still love it! At the same time Mum and Dad bought Telstar by The Tornados for my brother.  We played our vinyl records on our first proper record player (we had an old 'horn' one from my aunt before that which played 78's and had to be wound up every so often - brother and I had so much fun laughing as the records wound down).  Anyway, the record player was called Disc Jockey.  We had to wait for the valves to warm up and you could see them glow through the wire of the loudspeaker.  I can still remember the smell the heat gave off!  It's quite comforting to think about it now - yes I know I'm sad!

Anyone who has never played a 45' is missing something in life!  Of course there were problems when stacking up several 45's because when they dropped on to the turntable on top of one another they often slipped as they played. I soon gave that up and had to change each single as it finished.  Oh! fun days.

So, you lot out there - what was the first single you ever bought, or had bought for you, vinyl, cassette or (if you must) CD!

Okay, cue the music............



Comments