This ol' house.....

I was thinking the other day (not a good idea!) that since my kids left school I don't have any photos of them, alone or together.  Year after year I bought their school photos and some are still proudly displayed in the living room.  Now though, they don't come on holidays with us any more and we don't do much as a family either as they get on with their own lives.  So I've decided that I will try and get them together in the garden today (it's a nice sunny day but it depends on whether (a) both have actually got up and (b) that one hasn't already sneaked out of the house).  Wish me luck on that one, eh?

I've been doing a lot of writing - some is report writing for the Mothers' Union meeting tomorrow, a branch report and a brief report from the Diocesan Council meeting I was at last weekend - and I've been writing a lot of poems for the course I'm attending at Morley College in London (details on my writing blog).  Because the weather has been nice in the last two days I've managed to find a sunny spot by the house to sit and write in away from the TV and other disturbances of the house.  Mind you, even in our garden there is the hum of the busy bypass which I can switch off from but yesterday I paused for a moment and thought "gosh it's noisy".  As the big lorries rumble by the ground shakes.  I find it rather worrying actually because when we first moved here (23 years ago) I never noticed it but gradually as the years went on I found that I could feel the bedroom shake and sometimes (more recently) I could feel the house shake downstairs.  It has become very common but only in the last few days have I noticed it when in the garden.  I guess it must be the increased volume of traffic and lorries getting bigger and carrying heavies loads.  I just hope that our structure is sound and bits don't start falling off the house!  I do worry that if shaken too hard things will give and I don't want my nick-nacks jiggling together. It's like living with earth tremors several times a day.  I'm off now to check the walls for cracks!

Comments