Hectic week but varied!

I've had a busy week which is why I've not been blogging.  I've also got a bad shoulder which keeps me awake some nights when I can't find a comfy position in which to lay.  Not sure what I have done but it feels like a torn muscle or a trapped nerve.  Any twisting action, like putting my arm in a sleeve or fasting my bra, is painful.  It's my right arm, the one I write with, iron with and everything else with!  I try to rest it but it's impossible.

Do you like my newest soft toy?  He is the polar bear from the Birds Eye advert.  I had to buy a few boxes of fish fingers for him, though I don't eat fish, (a true vegetarian does not eat fish, why can't people get that?!). Hubby and youngest son eat everything as they are not vegetarians and have no intention of ever being, so as far as I can see.  Their loss!  Still, it did give me the opportunity of getting my free polar bear.  He is ultra soft and squidgy.

On Tuesday night I went to The Rose Theatre to see We Are Three Sisters, all about the Bronte sisters.  My friend thought the chap playing the brother, Bramwell, overacted and had a bit of a giggling fit.  Thought I was going to have to slap her - instead I ignored her!!  Anyway, a good performance with a few amusing bits to lighten the dour mood of the Parsonage in Haworth.

On Friday afternoon I saw the film Girl with a Pearl Earring.  The local Arts Association were showing it and as I'd not seen it before (though I'd read the book) this was a good opportunity.  I hadn't realised that Colin Firth was in it - added appeal!

Yesterday I attended a Prayer & Spirituality day at Southwark Cathedral in London.  We began with a welcome from Bishop Christopher followed by morning prayer.  There was then an address by David Runcorn entitled Every Bush is Burning, looking at the passage from Exodus 3 and our own story within it.  There then followed morning workshops. I had pre-booked my workshops for the day (one morning, one afternoon from the choice of six and seven respectively).  My workshop was about St Ignatius of Loyola.  There was a brief explanation about Ignatius and then a DVD about his life with pauses for personal reflection on the questions asked.  I have heard previously about 'The Spiritual Exercises' of St Ignatius and this gave a flavour.  I found this session left me wanting to know more.  I recently bought a book on this subject but haven't started it yet.  I think I will be reading it soon.

We reassembled in the cathedral for midday prayer and then we had an hour for lunch and/or time to wander around the cathedral to view the 'market place' (stands with leaflets from various religious spiritual groups - I came home with a hand full!).  I opted for lunch in The Refrectory as the food is so good and I had a lovely stuffed aubergine with salad.  I still had time to see the Advent Prayer Walk in the cathedral which really worked for me and I came home with a small pebble to remind me that Jesus mourned the death of friends as we mourn for the death of our loved ones.  One of the 'stations' was about happiness and God's sense of humour, represented by a chair festooned in balloons.

We began the afternoon with a talk from Alison Milbank about practising prayer and then it was off to the second workshop, this time it was a meditation with Franciscan Sisters on The Canticle of the Creatures (Francis of Assisi).  I struggled with this.  It seemed too long and drawn out for me.  I think I am beginning to learn what works and what doesn't and long periods of silent meditation makes me agitated! I prefer meditation with music, but I like to try new things.  Afterwards there was time for me to browse round the cathedral shop with the added incentive of 10% off for all on the Prayer Day and I just happened to find a nice book on the 100 best churches in London!

The day ended with evening prayer.  The whole day seemed to fly by yet it was a long one.  That doesn't make sense but I know what I mean!  There are some things I want to follow up and there's more thinking to do!!

Comments