Advent - 11th December 2011 (story)


A BETHLEHEM STORY
(published in Areopogus Christmas edition 2008)

I was in a field just outside Bethlehem leaning against a hedge.  I’d eaten my fill of bread and olives that I’d stolen earlier from a stall in the town before being chase off by a rather irate street seller.  Even so, I managed to swipe a goatskin full of wine which was slipping down a treat, I can tell you.
            I pulled my cloak tighter around me for the night was getting cold.  The sky was clear and I was content and sleepy so I hunkered down and was about to doze off when I heard voices, agitated and urgent.  I opened my eyes and drew back in shock.  Over in a field, not far away from me a bright light was shining in the sky.  It was brighter than anything I’d ever seen before.  It wasn’t the moon – that was behind me and it wasn’t a star yet it flooded the whole field in front of me.  I stared at it in confusion.  Now, I know what you’re thinking, but no I hadn’t drunk that much.  Then all of a sudden I heard singing, beautiful singing, which rang out across the night and I thought I saw figures moving within the light.  I didn’t know what to think – I was in fear yet gripped by the beauty of this sight and the chorus of song.  Then it was gone.  Just like that.  I sat forward straining my eyes in the dark, but there was nothing.  Disappointment crept into me.  Whatever it was I wanted that feeling again.
            Ahead of me a new noise attracted my attention, a scuffling, feet hurrying, excited voices.  I stood up and looked over the hedge.  I could just make out the forms of shepherds leaving the field further down.  Why were they leaving their sheep?  Where were they going at this time of night all together like that?  Perhaps they were too frightened to stick around after what had happened.  But a good shepherd never abandons his sheep, even I know that. 
Curiosity got the better of me and grabbing my provisions I followed the shepherds at a safe distance down the road. They were heading into Bethlehem.  Nothing would be open now.  Even the taverns would be closed.  Through the narrow side streets we went, the shepherds’ heads huddled together in conversation, me following silently.  We came to an Inn.  They stopped and looked up then shuffled down the side to a stable at the back.  I crept up to the corner to watch and they were looking up at the sky again so I looked up too and saw the most amazing star; I mean it was so big and bright.  I tore my eyes away and saw the shepherds going into the stable.  Once they had gone I slowly walked up to the door.  I looked through the crack.  At first I couldn’t see anything except straw, so I pulled the door open further.  Then I saw him, a tiny newborn baby laying in a cattle trough, his exhausted mother watching over him, his father offering a shoulder to lean on.  And there kneeling by the baby were the shepherds.  They were praying and something touched me.  My heart went out to this newborn, a feeling like I’d felt in the field earlier, but this time the feeling was stronger.  I was being drawn in, drawn to this baby.  I don’t know why but I just knew this was important, that he was important and before I realised what I was doing I was on my knees before him babbling praises upon him.  
            A gift – I had to leave a gift.  The shepherds were leaving a lamb.  What did I have?  I scrabbled in my bag but all I had was a hunk of leftover bread and the remains of the wine from my meal.  Humbly, I laid them out before the babe and blessed him.  Then I left, my heart overflowing with joy.


Comments