Advent - 9th December 2011 (veggie Christmas)

For the alternative Christmas people (vegetarians!) food can be a nightmare.  Going out is no better.  While the meat eaters sit down to their turkey and trimmings the veggie is left with a substandard choice worth half the price but still pays the same as everyone else.  Most restaurants on their advertising give the full menu for their Christmas lunch - for the vegetarian you have to ask because usually it just says 'vegetarian option available'.  We are just a side order!  Not worth the expense of a description of what they might offer (usually only one dish as opposed to least three for meat eaters).  Choice is not an option.

So what do I eat on Christmas Day?  Well, one year I did make a special veggie meal for myself but when you are serving turkey to everyone else, space in the oven, time to prepare etc. rather restricts you.  These days I have a Quorn Roast, (their website is down so I can't link this, sorry!) which I share with my eldest son (also a veggie) and my younger son always wants a slice - though he's not a veggie and has turkey as well!  Other than that I have all the veg accompaniments but of course the roast potatoes don't go round the turkey, they are done separately and I make my own stuffing - a meat free recipe handed down from my grandmother and mother which everyone loves (Christmas wouldn't be the same without it, I'm told).

It's amazing how people panic when they think there is a vegetarian coming to dinner!  I usually have to make suggestions (I would even offer to bring my own!).  It's the little things I have to worry about like gravy (I do a separate one at home), desserts (geletin), suet in Christmas puddings (there are so many veggie ones now) and cheese (is it veggie?).  Even when I visit my brother he doesn't understand but when I inspect his fridge for cheese it's veggie anyway but of course he never looks to see what's in things.  I have to do it all the time!

I have the added 'awkwardness' of not drinking milk.  Usually I take soya milk with me which always starts another conversation - do you have an allergy - have you always not drunk it?  (Actually I went off it when I gave it up for Lent one year and then couldn't bear drinking it anymore).  I will sometimes (if I've forgotten my supply) have a spot of milk but the taste overwhelms in tea, better in coffee (though I don't really drink that!).  Otherwise I will have black tea as long as it's weak.  At home I will make separate cheese sauces but I will eat whatever comes when I'm out.  I have a love/hate relationship with cheese - I do like it but it leaves an after taste of milk but the vegan options don't quite hit the spot.  Also at home I only use soya spread and soya cream.

How did I get into this conversation?  Sorry I'm rather going off on one!  Anyway, think about us vegetarians and vegans this Christmas.  We can't (as my mother said the first 'meat-free' year I had) make an exception and eat turkey at Christmas!  Okay, it is a choice not life threatening, but the smell of some meats makes me feel quite sick - tuna is actually the worse, followed by lamb.  I wouldn't force people to eat what they didn't like and anyway think of the animals I save and it's good for my carbon footprint!  Actually the very worse thing for me is to see a hog roast - I actually have to walk away because I find it so sickening.  Before I completely spoil your Christmas (maybe it's made you think) here are some suggestions from The Vegetarian Society for the festive banquet!  Click the link.




Comments