Craving for a book and clearing shelves

Wow!  It's windy out there.  It is also raining.  A combination I hate!  I am waiting to go out to pick up my new Book Club read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson so I am hoping that the rain will at least stop long enough for me to collect it.  If not it will have to wait until tomorrow when I return from choir rehearsal (yes, that's up and running again tomorrow) or failing that on Thursday.  I hate being without a book.  I've just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (compelling but quite depressing) and am now getting jittery, like a smoker without a cigarette!  I am having to make do with reading magazines.

My book Art History for Dummies arrived this morning and I am excited about reading that (so I suppose I'm not bookless really - never am really as I have books in dark corners waiting - but I just don't want to start a novel with the Book Club read on the horizon).  I've just scanned the contents and read the introduction.

Thinking again about New Year's Resolutions, several clearing out jobs are pending, namely the kitchen cupboards and drawers, the under-stairs cupboard (which we use as an extra food storage area because the kitchen is so tiny) and my two shelves (see photo).  These shelves contain not only books (mainly poetry books/guides, reference, religion and art but also my German language stuff and files and exercise books on creative writing, especially poetry, cuttings (from my publications) and copies of The Art of Knitting!  The top shelf of mine is actually double banked so often I have to take books out to get to those behind!  Not sure how I can whittle it all down, especially as I keep buying new reference books, but I have to try!

My heaven would be to have a study with wall to wall (well at least one whole wall) of books and CD's with room to do my card making and not have to pack everything away every time.  It's nice to have dreams isn't it?

One other thing on my list is to finish the knitted patchwork throw.  The knitting part is done (it took two years) but I need to do two rows of crochet which I can't do!  My grandmother showed me basics years ago when I was a child - all gone now!  There are instructions but I prefer to be shown - reading instructions confuse me!  I just have to do this because it's been sitting in a cupboard for over a year now and I am thinking of maybe knitting a jumper and I can't do that until this is done (well I could but I'm not.  The incentive to make something new is to finish the old, ha!)

So what's on your list?

Comments