New Year - changes, resolutions, a finished puzzle!

Do you like the new look?  New Year - time for a change.

Hope you all had a great New Year.  So how many of you have made New Years Resolutions?  I have some that are on my list every year - learning German and exercising.   I've been trying to learn German for years using BBC books and others and never seem to get past ordering a coffee!  I still love the language and go back to it from time to time but this year I am going to try and learn some Italian.  I have a book and cassette  (which shows how long I've had it!) and actually began about two weeks ago - haven't yet got as far as ordering coffee but mi chiamo Heather e sono inglaese.  Sono di London.  Impressed eh?

Exercise is difficult right now because of my right arm.  I finally went to the doctor the week before Christmas and he (dishy Dr Kim!) said I had hurt a muscle, a secondary one which prevents me from raising my arm beyond a certain height and the twisting action when I put a coat on etc.  He hadn't got any exercise sheets as they hadn't been uploaded on his computer but when I explained that friends had offered me their exercise sheets for various things (shoulder replacement and a frozen shoulder) he was intrigued that so many of my friends had shoulder problems.  I said it was our age group!  My arm has felt pretty painful and I did have some painkillers and I've also gone back on my calcium and vitamin D3 tablets and the last couple of days it has seemed a bit better.  Anyway, the arm restricts the sort of exercise I can do and I do need it as well as cutting down certain foods to get back into shape.  This is a work in progress!

I'm also keen to learn more about Art.  I have considered courses perhaps towards a degree but they are so expensive.  I did an introduction to studying art as part of my Certificate on Humanities with the Open University and wondered whether to take up with them again but I see my Certificate will soon no longer count towards a degree as everything is revamped and I'd have to start from scratch.  So I am looking at other options.  At present I have just sent for a book off Amazon and will read up on the subject and use the internet and libraries.  I go to art exhibitions that appeal to me already so I will try and see more and learn what I can.

I also want to learn more about analysing poetry and to improve my own writing.  I've signed up for the next term at Morley College which will help keep me on track.

On New Year's Day we finally finished the jigsaw puzzle.  Hubby did a hell of a lot of it on New Year's Eve and then when it was almost done we couldn't find the final piece!  We searched everywhere on the table and floor, then we moved it off the table to eat lunch.  I was explaining to my eldest 'Mr. Clever' son and he said 'there it is' and he picked it off the place mat on the table.  How did we miss it?!  What excitement there was - how sad we are!

Finished at last!
(PS.  If you watched EastEnders last night, who didn't shed a tear as Pat died?)

Comments