Sunshine, poppies and Jubilee Action

Been really busy with family stuff and making the most of the weather so I've not been on my computer as much.  I actually went for a whole day without it last week (shock, horror).

The poppies in our garden look wonderful.  Every morning when I get up I count how many there are and today is a record....there are 29!  Yet by lunchtime all the petals will have dropped and I will have to wait until tomorrow to see some more.  I love the colour, so vibrant and racy!  They are such a joy to see and make my mornings.

I sat outside to have breakfast,  moving my chair into the sunshine before it got too hot, yet even at 8.30am it was pretty hot.  I am not complaining.....after all that rain we had last month and earlier this month I am loving having the sun there as soon as I draw back the curtains. What I don't like is cooking in my tiny kitchen where the sun makes it like a hothouse from lunchtime through to evening.  Still I don't often cook at midday - Sunday being the exception but yesterday it was mainly a cold lunch!

Last week our Mothers' Union branch had a speaker come from Jubilee Action.  The lady had only just returned from Rwanda and was enthusiastic about their project there working with a school that teaches deaf children.  These children are usually shunned in their society because they don't think they are capable of learning and get no normal school education  Also 80% or so are orphans because of the genocide in that country. Even those with parents would rather stay at the school because they love it so much.  We saw pictures of the tin huts that child headed households live in.  Two of these older boys actually made the uniforms that the children wear in school.

Close up of necklace - sorry a little blurry
Jubilee Action helps all children at risk, mainly in Latin America, India and Africa.  They work with street children, former child soldiers, the abused, those sold into prostitution and others by rehabilitation, offering skills and education, helping to set up small businesses through microfinance and offering a safe place to stay.  If going home is not an option foster care is offered.  Though Jubilee Action is a small charity (they have only 6 paid workers in their UK office) they work with partners abroad and do so much good to help those who have had a bad start in life to to work through issues that have damaged them so that they can begin to flourish.

There were some hand crafted items on sale after the talk, some woven bowls and necklaces made with strips of paper and then fixed with a resin.  I bought a necklace a canvas bag which advertises the charity.  Do look at the website for Jubilee Action and see what good work they do.

Comments