Book club night

The book group met last night to discuss our latest read - Elsie & Mairi Go to War.  So funny, no one liked it and only two people finished it.  The topic should have been good - two ladies helping with ambulances on the front in World War One - but the author seemed more impressed by family connections and titles and what a 'jolly' time they had when they got away from the front. The writing was auful.  I read almost half the book.  I started it before my holiday but left it behind because it was too bulky to pack. When I returned I just couldn't get back into it and when I realised I only had a few days left in which to finish I decide not to bother....life is too short!  Not a book to recommend.

The next book we have chosen is the new one by J.K. Rowling The Casual Vacancy which I've been thinking about reading anyway.  Because it's so new we have to buy our own copy so I went into WH Smiths this morning hoping for 'an offer'!  Luckily there was one until I saw that the £6.99 price only happened if I spent £15 on books or magazines.  Then I saw another book I was after...My Animals and Other Family by Clare Balding which had £5 off but still came in at .....£15!  So, I got my reduction on J.K. Rowling.  That's what I like!

Comments