Review - The Casual Vacancy

Finished J.K. Rowling's book The Casual Vacancy last night.  Can't stop thinking about it.  I really got hooked on this book and the characters.  Depending on who these characters were I would be cheering them on, almost crying with them, laughing with them and despising others.  There was a story behind most of the characters, their prejudices and secrets. 

After the death of Barry Fairbrother his seat on Pagford Parish Council comes up for grabs.  The Chairman wants his son Miles to win the vote as he will be on his side in trying to close the Addiction Clinic and Colin Wall is standing to carry on Barry's good work in trying to keep the Clinic open.  Simon Price wants the seat because he thinks there are favours to be had.

Nothing is what it seems as rich and poor clash as do teenagers and parents and indeed wives with husbands. They are all trying to make their way in life.  I really felt for these people and the book came across as very true to life.  We only ever know what we see on the outside and make judgements based on that.  I found myself warming to some unlikey characters once I found out their stories and the swearing (there was a big thing about this in the press) is relevant to those characters. An author has to be true to the character otherwise the reader won't believe!

If you want to find who won the vote on to the Council and the secrets behind closed doors you will have to read it because I'm not telling you!  It's too good to spoil.  Maybe like me you will find that the more you read it the more you won't want to put the book down.  I was sorry to say goodbye to these people.  I soon forgot that this was the lady who wrote the Harry Potter books!





Comments