Nursing and banking......contrasts of a day in London

Statue outside St Thomas' Hospital
Had an interesting day in London yesterday.  Because I always drag my friend around art galleries when we go to London I let her pick the venue this time.  She chose the Florence Nightingale Museum which is based in St Thomas' Hospital complex.  It was so bitterly cold when we arrived that we both wanted something warm to eat or drink so we headed off to the hospital facilities on the ground floor.  It was amazing - like a mini shopping mall with two or three eating places (M&S), a WHSmith and a clothes shop.  We had piping hot butternut squash soup two with mini rolls which really warmed us up and then headed off to the museum.  Being the Easter holidays there were kids everywhere.  There was a group all wearing those bright yellow jackets (no one was going to lose them) and they were far more interested in running around chasing each other than looking at anything, though the Easter Egg hunt helped.  I pitied the poor people looking after them.  I've had my fair share of that when my two were young and when I helped on school trips.  I smiled knowingly to the adults!  The museum was interesting with various items of clothing, books, gifts to Florence Nightingale and facts in her history and what she achieved, photos and written letters and records.  There was also a small exhibition about Workhouses which was quite heart breaking.  Like most tourist places there was a small shop with books, gifts and the usual pencils, rubbers etc. (my friend bought a pen that looked like a syringe full of blood!).
Gardens by St Thomas' Hospital

After we left the museum we headed back to the hospital for a hot drink and to think about where to go next.  We got out our booklets and maps and decided to go to the Bank of England Museum which is free!  We worked out the route by underground but before we left the hospital we had a look in the clothes shop and I ended up buying a cardigan.  Who buys clothes in a hospital?  Me, obviously.

Anyway off we set but got a little lost outside the station and had to consult the map several times, my fingers freezing to almost numb (can't use a map with gloves on!).  I ended up doing that thing that really annoys men - I turned the map round to position the bridge we were near so I could work out which way to go because we were were going around in circles.  Sorry guys, it works for me!

It was lovely and warm in the museum.  All our bags had to go through an airport style security system before we could go in.  I was much impressed with the museum.  Nice rooms, lots of information and artifacts to look at as well as a short film about money and gold bars presented by Stephen Fry.  There was a gold bar you lift (well sealed with room for a hand to slide in and lift).  I could barely lift it!  Lots of old money to see (I still have an old green Pound note I kept back when they were going out of circulation).  The only disappointment was that the shop was closed by the time we finished.  They said it was due to close in five minutes and then it shut earlier. Hmm!  A bank not wanting my money, now there's a thought!


Comments