Quiet Day - experience the silence

Window - Chichester Cathedral 
On Thursday I took myself off to a retreat house for the day.  I'd booked it only the week before knowing that I'd not have a chance to anything else for a month or so otherwise.  I'd known about The House of Prayer for a few years and had been meaning to visit.

The house is set in lovely grounds, though the day was wet and overcast so wandering there wasn't an option.  It was a lovely peaceful day.  Having been on a quiet day before (and having experienced a four hour silence on a guided retreat) I knew what to expect.  As well as my packed lunch I took with me a Bible, a prayer diary I use, a book with resources to use on retreats, a book from the Community of Hilda & Aiden called Prayer Rhythms for Busy People and some paper and a pen.

The first extraordinary thing was that on arriving I was given a bedroom to use for the whole day.  It had a desk and chair and an easy chair by the window overlooking the garden.  I was shown the prayer room, kitchen and toilets and then left for the rest of the day to be entirely alone.  The first feeling was one of relief - to get away on my own and switch off from everything else.  Over the course of the day I used the time to pray, read, mediate and rest.  I saw only a small group in the prayer room once when I visited and there was no need to speak and when I was eating my lunch at a dining table someone came through to bring a mug back.  Again, we didn't speak.  I guess it's the longest I've been silent ever!  Actually, it was okay.  I don't miss the chatter or music but my mind likes to keep butting in.  I have real problems ignoring it as it loves to analyse.  But I got there in the end.

I realised how much I'd missed being on my own for a while and having nothing particular to do except listen to the birds.  In the afternoon the sun even came out and flooded the room with warmth.  I stretched out in my chair and luxuriated in it.

I thought I would write while I was there but I didn't.  I didn't actually want to.  Since being home a few ideas have come and one will be appearing on my writing blog very soon!  I am now thinking about the next retreat.  I really feel the difference just after a day (a bit like a visit to a spa), the effects hangs on and I like to keep it as long as possible but inevitably life kicks in.  That's why these days are so precious to me.

Comments