Ice Age Art Exhibition

Well, I'm finally starting to feel better which I'm pleased about as I was tackling London again in the half term holidays (not something I'd choose to do now my kids are grown up!).  I had booked a ticket to see the Ice Age Art Exhibition at the British Museum which had been extended to the 2nd June due to popularity.

The carved pieces on view are beautiful.  When you think that some of these were carved 40,000 years ago it is amazing.  The 'artists' knew how to work ivory to get the best out of it, where the hollow part was and the detail, especially on the small items is incredible.  Their knowledge of animals, birds and fish comes across - there were some lovely flying swans, swimming reindeer and horses heads, detail of fur, and in the cave art, pigments were used to colour the animals.  The artist used the contours of the cave to emphasise the body of the animal.  Other items included a flute, tools, spoons and spear throwers.  I don't know if any of you have read Jean Auel's books but I loved them.  That era of early man really fascinates me and I read much about spear throwers in Jean's books. Animals were of such great importance to our early ancestors for food, clothing, fat burned to create light and I love it that there was obviously music and dancing!  Sometimes I think, yes life must have been bloody hard but then it was also very simple.  I wonder if we were more content then than we seem to be now?

(Tomorrow's day out has been cancelled - my friend is recovering from something similar to what I've had)

Comments