Book Reviews


I haven't really reviewed any books lately (though I do on Goodreads from time to time).  If you look at my latest additions (about 5) there is quite a contrast.  Essie Fox I came across through her website Virtual Victorian and then spotted one of her books at the library.  Set in the 1800's Elijah's Mermaid is a typical gothic novel with references to the Pre-Raphaelites and is indeed about an artist's obsession with his muse. The book actually reminds me of Sarah Water's book  Fingersmith because of certain similarities like the asylum scenes in the story and the use of laudanum as a cure-all for 'women's problems', though it was widely used by all in that era.  The low life of theft and prostitution also rife during those times is heavily illustrated.  A good tale with twists along the way and I loved the fact that Essie gave detailed descriptions of her sources and about  life in those times at the back of the book.

Various Pets Alive and Dead is another hilarious book by Marina Lewycka.  Having been brought up in a commune the 'children' are now forging lives of their own and trying to move on. Their mother announces that she and their father are, after all these years, going to get married and want to bring together the former commune family and lots of things come back to haunt them.  Meanwhile the son Serge is trying to avoid his mother especially as she still thinks he is working on his PhD when in fact his working in the banking sector. There are many funny scenes and I enjoyed this book greatly.  I don't know how Marina keeps coming up with such crazy characters but her books are a joy to read.

Lyrics Alley is the third book of Leila Aboulela's I have read and again I marveled at her descriptions and fell into the clashing of cultures of a Sudanese man who has two wives, one a traditional Sunanese wife and the other a modern Egyptian wife.  Much is covered in this book, honour, duty, love, culture, religion, class and even female circumcision.  The story is based loosely on Leila's Uncle but I didn't know that until I'd finished the book.  I always learn a lot from Leila's books and this one I really enjoyed even though I didn't get the ending I'd hoped for!

Miranda Hart writes the way her comedy show is.  In Is It Just Me? Miranda deals with all those issue of growing up as she speaks to her 18 year old self.  Funny?  I laughed out loud!  I began to realise we bear some similarities with our views and worryingly I started to use Miranda's words for things.  I'd say Miranda did some of things in life that I'd like to do but haven't the guts!  She expresses so much honestly but amusingly.  The Chapter on Christmas rang so true! A really fun read which was on my Christmas list but never got (but I did get other great books) and then found in the library.

The Saturday Big Test Wedding Party by Alexander McCall Smith was a nice easy read with the usual problems to be sorted by the lady detective Mma Ramotswe including the apprentice mechanic Charlie who seems to be in bother and a farmer whose cattle are being attacked. Finally there is also the wedding of Mma Makutsi to Phuti Radiphuti.  I love this little series of books and have another waiting in the wings. They are handy to take on holiday or journeys as they are not big books - sorry I am not a Kindle person!


Comments