A little music interlude.....

Being a huge fan of the guitar last night I went to see Richard Durrant play live at The Rose Theatre.  You see my love of the guitar stretches from rock to classical and I admire someone who can play the instrument well.  Richard plays barefoot and since this year, also standing up (he reckons he's given the footstall to a little girl down the road to iron her dolls clothes on!).

Not only do I love to hear the guitar played but also to watch the technique.  Watching Richard move his fingers with so much agility was wonderful.  He played a piece from Bach and one by Elgar.  He is heavily influenced by Paraguayan music and the composer Agustin Barrios Mangore.  At the end of the first half of the concert Richard played a song written by Kike Pedersen originally written for Paraguayan harp and entitled Newcastle to Peterborough!  This was one of my favourites of the evening.  In the second half Richard played some themes tunes from Candlewick Green (who remembers that?) written by a guitarist he admired so much and who I can only remember the surname of....Phillips!

Part of Richard's equipment includes some pedals which he used in several performances including his version of Tubular Bells (the Mike Oldfield classic).  I was fascinated by the way he worked the pedals which gave him the loops he needed in the song.  All that technical stuff.....I'd love to get my hands on it! Did I say that back in the day I wanted to be a sound engineer?  A great night.

I'll leave you with this video I found on YouTube of a song Richard played last night - posted separately as Blogger doesn't seem to want to oblige!.

Comments