Autumn sights and sounds

Autumn is blowing in on a gale.  Dark clouds gather but create a great backdrop for the russets, yellows and greens of the leaves as they shimmer.  Rain, oh lots of rain.  It has kept me indoors unless I've had to go out. Instead I have been catching up with jobs like cleaning the cooker, sorting my finances and getting ahead with paperwork.  I have even drafted out the Christingle service for December.

On Saturday I attended a singing workshop at a local church as part of their Big Arts Weekend.  I arrived early and had time to look at the art and photographic exhibition.  As well as stunning photos there was wood turning, quilting, a crochet wedding dress and a lace hankie made out of icing.

The workshop took part in the main church and around 16 or 18 of us, men and women gathered to learn some simple Taize songs. Taize began in France by Brother Roger. The community is where people from all denominations gather to worship and live together for a while.  The songs consist of a few lines which are then repeated and the words are written in many languages.  The idea is that people can sing the songs in their own language when they come together.  We learnt five songs in two to four parts.  I already knew two of the songs as we sing them at my church during communion but it was good to learn new ones.  We sang one in Latin and had the opportunity to sing one in German but most people wanted to stick with English.

After a break for refreshments we returned and used the songs we have learnt in a short service of contemplation accompanied by piano and violin.  We each lit a candle.  The service was lovely and sure beat shopping on a Saturday morning.


Comments