Lowry, churches, disappointments and new things

The 'Cheese Grater' and 'Walkie Talkie' buildings, London
As I had a free day yesterday I took myself off to Tate Britain to see the Lowry Exhibition.  It was excellent. I've always loved Lowry's paintings and seeing them up close was a real thrill. Some years ago when I was on holiday in Berwick-on-Tweed there was a 'Lowry Walk' which I did and in the exhibition there was the view of Berwick! Lowry's paintings capture the time of industry at its height so well with people milling around on their way to and from the factories.  Then there are many of people at play, watching football, going to the fair, visiting the park.  Many pictures also describe accidents and incidents in the street.  Lowry was always interested in people's reaction to things that happened like the public crowding round being nosy!  A few paintings show hospitals or waiting in out-patients as well as the 'fever van' visiting or the funeral.  Lowry painted landscapes blighted by industry, the river and the swamps.  He used a lot of white paint as his paintings faded to background, such a contrast to the dark images.  I like the way he outlined some images and used bright reds here and there; the houses packed together and always people.  Most images are of northern towns but there are a few paintings of Welsh hills, mining villages and one of London.  A most enjoyable exhibition but it finishes this month so you will have to hurry if you still want to see it.

After the exhibition I decided to do some walking in London and from Tate I walked over Lambeth Bridge and tried to find a place in Lambeth which is a modern art gallery with a vegetarian/vegan cafe.  I was contemplating having lunch there.  Unfortunately the road was closed off and there was scaffolding everywhere so either the building has gone or is being renovated.  I had to re-think my plans and ended up at Costa in Lambeth for lunch and got out my trusty map while eating my pannini to choose my options.

St Mary-le-Strand
I set off over Waterloo Bridge and walked into The Strand where I visited the church of St.Mary-le-Stand which sits on an island with traffic flowing past it. The church is baroque, built between 1714 and 1723 and designed by James Gibbs.  Below it are traces of Roman, Saxon and Medieval London.  The church has an ornate ceiling and a very unusual pulpit which I was told had been moved a few times and once had a lid!  I loved the windows.  The church needs a general clean but all this costs money. I can imagine how splendid it would look afterwards.
Window in St Mary-le-Strand Church

St Clement Danes
From there it was just a short walk to St Clement Danes Church which is known as the RAF church.  This is a most splendid church.  The floor has tiles set with almost 900 squadron and unit badges.  There are Books of Remembrance which record the names of over 150,000 men and women who died whilst serving in the RAF.  There was an orchestra practicing in the nave of the church so I didn't feel I could take photos.  The music was beautiful.  I have no idea what they were playing but it sounded rounded and full.  The acoustics are obviously just right. There is a crypt which I visited (there is always something rather scary about crypts!).There is so much to see in this church including cases with memorabilia and its one I'd like to revisit one day.
The Crypt, St Clement Danes
******
Today at choir there was some sad news.  Our Musical Director is leaving at the end of the term. It was quite a shock but he said it was time to move on.  The choir will continue and they are looking for someone new but he will be a hard act to follow and we will miss him like crazy.  At our final concert there won't be a dry eye in the house.

Also today I had a call from the Adult Education Centre to say that the Italian class is being discontinued. They had hoped that more people would have signed up following its start but they haven't and with only four of us it isn't cost effective.  A bit annoying as we've all just bought the books and CD's but at least they are refunding the course fees.  So I'm on my own!  I shall try to continue with the course.  I'd made a huge effort this week too, making flash cards and learning five words or sentences per day. However, something good always comes from bad as now it means I can attend the Quiet Day in November which clashed with Italian and I can now book a course at Morley I'd had wanted to do in January which also clashed.

Things usually go in threes so I am still waiting for the third thing to happen!

Comments