Meeting Places

Saturday 16th November had been booked in my diary for a long time.  It was my day to switch off my mind and seek the spiritual. Saturday was Southwark Cathedral's Meeting Places, a day of spirituality with times of prayer and worship, workshops, resource stalls and prayer spaces.

I arrived early to register for the pre-booked workshops I'd chosen (there were seven to choose from in the morning sessions and seven in the afternoon). The seats had been moved from their usual pew-like rows into an oval shape so we all faced each other. In the middle was a Tent of Meeting, each side lit by tea lights and from the top coloured card each drawn with flames hung from strings for people to write prayers on.  We began with prayers and song. Afterwards there was a talk by Rosemary Lain-Priestley who has written many books including Does my Soul Look Big in This. She spoke of where we meet with God and how in our busy lives we can try to find a small space of time to pray as well as pray-on-the-run!

There was then a break for coffee and a chance to see the various prayer spaces. These included a Labyrinth and prayer walk. It was the prayer walk I chose. This was at the far end of the Cathedral, away from the crowds. People were invited to pick a stone on entering, carry it and keep. There was a handy sheet of suggestions and an explanation to each of the twelve pictures within the prayer station. I love the calm of prayer stations, what I can get out of the pictures and how they relate to me.  It was a nice beginning. I then went to grab a cup of tea but didn't have time to finish it before the first workshop started. The workshops were held in various rooms to the side of the Cathedral.

I had chosen Walking and Talking with God: using a Labyrinth. I've always been interested in Labyrinths but have never walked one and wasn't sure what you do in one! I do have a book about them but I've not got round to reading it yet. Our speaker said that the earliest Labyrinth was found in Algeria in 324 and that the Mappa Mundi has a Labyrinth drawn on it. Labyrinths have become very popular in the last few years as retreat centres often have one and in fact our speaker was giving an afternoon workshop on how to make one. For our purposes she said that using a Labyrinth was a way to enrich and deepen our prayer life but it is also an outreach tool and can be used by anyone. Everyone was given an A4 sheet with a Labyrinth printed on it and she explained how this could be used as a finger Labyrinth. So we all had a go in a quiet moment. One thing a Labyrinth is not is a maze. There is only one way in to the centre and you come back the same way. It was interesting to try the finger version but I have yet to walk one. The one in the Cathedral was painted in rainbow colours on canvas but I felt there was not enough time to walk it and it was a busy day!

We returned to the Cathdral for midday prayers and then it was time for lunch. A nice couple I'd never met before asked where I was having lunch as they were going to Borough Market and invited me to join them if I was doing the same. I'd already decided to treat myself to something hot in the Refectory but I thanked them very much for their kind offer. I sat in the nice warm restaurant with my soup and bread after which I visited the Cathedral shop and had a look round the stalls and did another quick turn around the Prayer Station.  I still had my stone and in fact it is still in my coat pocket ready for use.

There was a brief introduction to the afternoon sessions and then I set off for my second workshop entitled Meeting God in Southwark's Holy Places. This was taken by the writer of the book Britain's Holiest Places (Nick Mayhew-Smith) which sparked a BBC six part programme based on the book which I'd avidly watched!  It turns out that one of our holiest places in the Southwark Diocese is Merton Abbey which is now under the M&S building and car park! Nick discussed hill top churches, sacred wells, ancient wall paintings in churches and old Christian rituals.  It was a very interesting talk with colourful slides.

Back in the Cathedral we ended with a talk by our Bishop, music from John Tavener when we were invited to light a candle in the Tent of Meeting, prayers and a hymn.

It was a lovely day, peaceful and informative.  I decided to walk back along the river Thames to Waterloo Station. On one hand this was a mistake because being a Saturday it was packed with people jostling and chatting. This took some getting used to after the quietness of the Cathedral. Even with several hundred of us it was actually possible to zone out and feel as if I was alone....amazing. On the other hand I saw the Southbank gearing up for Christmas with their market and lights.  I used my phone to take some photos and even to take a short video (a first for me!). Just a shame I came home to the washing up :(#


Comments