Thames Path Vauxhall Bridge to Battersea (circular)

Thames Path Walk Circular
Vauxhall Bridge to Battersea Bridge (north bank)
Battersea Bridge to Vauxhall Bridge (south bank)



Equipment - camera, spare batteries, Explore the Heart of London Map (Thames path 2)
Refreshments – bottle of water, one homemade mince pie!
Extras – gloves, hat (unused), book

Apartments, St George's Wharf on the south bank, Vauxhall
I was hoping to plan a day of walking over the Christmas period and today (Saturday) I woke to a sunny morning. Great – a chance to work off some excess calories!  Picked my route and set off about 9.30am.  Arrived at Vauxhall station around 10.30am and began my walk by crossing Vauxhall Bridge and turning left towards Pimilco – the setting for Alexander McCall Smith’s Corduroy  Mansions series of books! From the map there didn’t appear to be much to look at along that bank side but I was pleasantly surprised. Firstly it was quiet. Not many people were out, and those that were seemed to be others like me with maps and cameras or endless joggers!  The sun was beautiful and along the route were apartments which had huge windows letting in light and the views. I looked up at the apartments and thought how lovely it would be to overlook the river.  It was a beautiful walk, even better because this area was new to me, so it was a mini an adventure.

Battersea Power Station
To my right as I reached Chelsea Bridge I passed the back of The Royal Hospital (Chelsea Pensioners), the National Army Museum and Chelsea Physic Garden.  Further along I came to Cheyne Walk and did a detour because I wanted to see the area where famous artists and writers lived. Here was Blue Plaque heaven! I found the house where George Eliot lived and where the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti and poet  Swinburne shared a house.  I trailed off around the back roads and found some lovely mews houses. Wow! What a place to live.

I came back towards the river by which time I was close to Battersea Bridge (originally I was going to cross Albert Bridge and come back but they were so close together I decided to turn around at Battersea).  I crossed the bridge and soon was in Battersea Park.  I haven’t been since the boys were young and I took them to the children’s zoo. Now I took the path by the Peace Pagoda and walked to the Tea Terrace where I had a break for a hot chocolate and a packet of crisps. It was great to be able to sit outside in the sunshine and enjoy the view.  Afterwards I headed to the boating lake where I sat in a shelter to eat my mince pie and watch the water fowl.  Then I headed out of the park but had to leave the river and walk along the busy main road because of the redevelopment of Battersea Power Station.  I walked on and passed the famous Battersea Dogs Home and on for some time. I began to think I’d missed the turning back to the Thames Path but eventually there was a sign to the river at Nine Elms and I walked on to St George’s Tower where again I had to come off the path but found a walk through to St George’s Wharf. Here there are luxury apartments overlooking the river.  I looked in the estate agency there and saw the apartments were going for over £900,000. Don’t think I’ll be moving there any time in the near future!

The Pre-Raphaelite house!
Cormorant(?) sunning itself


From there it was a just a short walk back to Vauxhall Station which I reached at about 1.45pm.  On the way home I noticed what looked like a rainbow in the sky. That was impossible because there were no rain clouds, just a few wispy ones.  It was just the way the sun was reflecting through the cloud. How beautiful it looked.  My legs ache but what a wonderful walk.  I may well go back that way again sometime because it was so nice to be in that part of London – the quiet part, away from central London and its millions of tourists!
Looking back towards London (Vauxhall Bridge in the
distance)

Peace Pagoda, Battersea Park

-

Comments