Music and books

Last week Euphonix had an official photo shoot for its upcoming concert next month for the charity Love Kingston. Here is a link to the photo and article.

This week we celebrated five years of the choir so our rehearsal day was a mix of singing, AGM, party and music quiz. It was all great fun.  I remember when I first used to go, those early days when singers and MD were trying to find their feet. We used to have song words written in large black marker on sheets of special paper that were stuck to the long glass windows where we rehearse.  The paper would quite often begin to slide down, the top curling over like sheets of badly put up wallpaper.  It was so funny.  We've come a long way since those days and now get various requests for our services.  In April we will be singing outside the South Bank. We've done that before, though I didn't go that time. I hope to be there this time. We must have been impressive as we've been asked back!

I've recently finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Fascinating story of a girl born to save her sister who has cancer.  The girl at 13 decides to to sue her parents to have a right over her own body. The book is told from many viewpoints, the mother, father, the girl, and brother, as well as from the attorney and his former girlfriend who is appointed guardian ad litem for the girl taking her parents to court. There is an ongoing sub-plot between Campbell, the attorney and Julia, the guardian ad litem.  Because there are so many viewpoints you get see the impact the constant hospital appointments and donations has made on each family member and it brings you closer to them. I had difficulty associating with the mother more than I had sympathy. She seemed so cold at times. Other times I thought how hard it must have been to make certain decisions. After all mothers will do anything for their children, even die for them.  The ending is quite unexpected and I don't want to spoil it for you. I didn't see it coming.

Comments