Drugs and rock and roll!

I'm quite expecting the police to turn up any time now asking why I'm watching so many YouTube videos on Cocaine and Heroin production! That's got your attention, hasn't it?

It's down to the Into to Forensic Science course I'm doing online. We've been through fingerprinting, footmarks (they tell you how to make your own....I didn't....and if you want, upload them to Flickr - that caused some comments on the messageboard!), blood patterning (loved that - how forensics work it out with 3D models), DNA (totally lost - kill me now!), firearms, toolmarks, type marks and now Drugs of Abuse. Must say this is my favourite part! I never knew the 'crack' in crack cocaine was the sound it makes when it is heated! Anyway, this is the fifth week. At times it has been a slog but I've found some of this fascinating.

Moving on....Monday morning has become my ironing time (it's about the only time I have and if I don't do it then I'll be overwhelmed with the amount as well as getting 'where is my new white t.shirt?'  Before starting to iron this morning I dug through my record collection - yes I did say record, not those little round things that run at high speed in a drawer. The first one on the turntable was The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, followed a favourite I kept from my Dad's record collection - A Swinging Safari by Bert Kaempfert & His Orchestra and finally Home Thoughts From Abroad by Clifford T Ward. Remember him? The school teacher turned singer/songwriter.  'Tis a long time since I played this 70's record and I fell in love with it all over again. I'm now looking out for his other albums on Spotify. Such a great writer and singer and rather under rated. I wonder what happened to him?

When you look at my choice of music this morning it's quite diverse and speaks of early influences. My first classical influence was from junior school when we listened to Jupiter from The Planet Suite by Holtz. My parents had lots of classical records. The shows/musicals I hated but I liked some of the instrumental music and Handel became a favourite composer. My Dad had a quite a varied interest in music. He liked classical but also what's known as easy listening as well as Don Williams (Country music) and he had a Del Shannon record which my brother now has. Mum and Dad were Radio 2 listeners (except for The Archers and yes I listened to that too!), you know Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan. My grandmother liked Jim Reeves and for a while I did too but a few years ago I ditched my one JR album as romantic, samey song. slush! However, I still have Val Doonican's Walk Tall in my collection along with....dare I admit this...Ken Dodd's Windmills In Old Amsterdam! Gee!  I don't know what music my granddad liked but not modern music. The only modern exception was Roy Orbison's Pretty Woman.

As for me other influences came along through friends and boyfriends, including when I was about sixteen and going out with a guy with a death wish (wonder if he's still with us?) who introduced me to Deep Purple's album Machine Head. It's still my all time favourite album of theirs.

So this morning, playing my Dad's old record I was back at our house by Dad's little corner with his pipe, sweet papers, record cabinet door flung open while he rummages around for something to play. Bert Kaempfert anyone?


Comments