Mosaics, war and peace

Tribute to William Blake - Southbank Mosaics
Recently I found out that near to Morley College, where I am currently attending a course on Thursdays, is the road where William Blake once lived. Along that road (the house sadly no longer exists) are railway arches and some tunnels, one of which is decorated with some mosaics made by Southank Mosaics. The artworks are copies of some of Blake's well known pictures.

So this afternoon I set off earlier than usual so that I could take a trip down Hercules Road and view these mosaics for myself. Unfortunately several of them have been removed, not sure why, but there is a promise that they will be coming back. Only one mosaic replica of a Blake artwork remains but there are other mosaics in the visionary style.

After photographing most of them I set off for a short walk. I'm always surprised how close things are in London. Somehow I never realised that the Imperial War Museum was just around the corner from Morley College. Here there are some lovely gardens, including the Tibetan Peace Garden. Spring flowers were in abundance around the grassy areas of the gardens and there is a little cafe as well. Just opposite is St George's Roman Catholic Cathedral which, when I have more time, I intend to visit. But I had to get to my course. Still, all these things were an interesting find and a nice way to pass some time.
Imperial War Museum
Tibetan Peace Garden

..

..

..
St George's RC Cathedral


Comments