A holiday read....The Cuckoo's Calling

My reading material while on holiday was The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith. Having enjoyed very much her first adult book I thought I'd give this one a try. I wasn't disappointed. I thought her characterisation of the private detective Cormoran Strike was great and I was rather hoping he'd get it together with his temporary secretary, but you can't have it all. The plot was interesting and I didn't know who had 'done it' until the end. There were a couple of things I wasn't too sure about, something that I felt was rather too convenient but I liked the story and I felt there could possibly be a return visit to this private detective sometime. I was nearly half way through the book before I went away and finished it on the plane coming home. It was an easy read and fairly fast paced. I particularly like the way Rowling shows her characters by what they do and say. You can get to know a lot about each one quickly. A good mystery crime novel with lots of twists and turns leading you down various paths so your theory of the baddie changes constantly.

Comments