On being a mother of boys

The sun is out...YEAH, so I'll make this quick as I need my shot and already there are clouds brewing.

When I thought about starting a family I had always wanted boys. I felt I related to them better, perhaps because I was such a tomboy. I was lucky and my wish came true - I have two boys (young men now). However, when they were teenagers I kind of missed not having a girl as my friends seemed to have great relationships with their daughters. I missed the girlie chats since my mother had died and I was top heavy with males in my family now.

However, boys are very different these days and though I might miss the girlie chat (boys are never quite as forthcoming and any information is got by painful means!) they have proved useful in other ways. I have had clothes off them........I have a rather nice pink polo shirt bought in error, a little large but with plenty of room to move in, and a grey sweater which shrank and is now my size! I have also found the boys useful in the hair department. One uses hair spray sometimes so when mine ran out I knew where to go. The other day my hair fixing gel ran out on me....ah, I know where I can find one of those!

With my two sons on the youngests
 21st birthday - 20013
I've taught both boys to cook and they will happily cook for themselves (one son is into marinating in a BIG way) and they will cook for me too if asked. So I am lucky, and know it because we have a good relationship and I've always taken interest in what they do. When they were growing up I tried out their Playstation Games and tried to keep up with their music and interests, encouraging everything they did. Their friends see me as the 'cool' mum. Not sure about that but I try. We've learned from each other, My life is so much richer and I hope they will feel that too. I'm probably getting over sentimental here so I will quit while I'm ahead. I'm sure all mums feel what I do. I've always told them how proud I am of them and that whatever they do in life there is nothing they can say that will change my love for them. What more can you do for your kids but love them and hope you give the right guidance. Wow, I never started out to say all this. If my kids ever read this they will be embarrassed big time. Still, that's what mothers are for, as I keep telling them.

Comments

  1. I think this is a lovely warming post from the heart. Even without having kids, I can imagine how you feel. And as an ex-tomboy too, i also relate to what you're saying from that POV. Lovely picture too! Have they seen what you wrote yet?! :) Sx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment