48 hour retreat

My room at the retreat house
I've been on a 48 hour retreat in deepest Surrey with members of Southwark Diocese Mothers' Union. I've been on retreats before but not with MU. I had a lovely room overlooking the drive and a field of sheep (rams actually) with a desk and chair in the window. It was a lovely place to sit and write or read and look at the countryside.
First morning - view from my window

The retreat was guided using the Mothers' Union theme for this year of nourishing and flourishing and we had several sessions with helpful hand-outs on different aspects, such as 'the invitation to the feast', 'in the house of the Lord' and 'in memory of me'. Everything began with a short talk to guide us into a time of quiet reflection. We then had the opportunity to sit, walk or use art materials. Some quiet times were rather long for me and if I am quiet I prefer to be totally alone (I'm that antisocial!) so sometimes I went to my room to sit at my desk to read or write and one time I laid on the bed as night came down and listened to some Celtic music on my mobile while watching the trees. On the afternoon of free time I actually went for a nap!

Twice during my time there I went out for walks and this was wonderful. There are not many places where you can walk now and not hear any traffic but here it was totally silent, only nature made the sounds (though sometimes we were on the flight path to Gatwick!). On the first walk I went to a nearby chapel which was recommended. St Mark's was formerly a cart stable built in 1650 but it was converted into a chapel in 1909. A very unique place, lots of wood inside and very lovely. On the way there I passed two horses in a field who came over to see me. Though the day was very overcast it was lovely to be out and walk alone in the countryside.
The driveway



St Mark's Chapel





Yesterday morning was brilliant - such a contrast to the wet and misty weather the day before. I was eager to be out and luckily there was time. I walked in the other direction almost to the top of the hill where the lane meets the main road. I found a footpath and ventured down a little way because I could see there was a good view across the fields. Certainly there was an abundance of colour and autumn riches and I was not ready to return to the house when I reached the driveway so I went off in the direction of the chapel again, though this time I didn't go as far. I stopped by the field of horses and on the opposite side there was a pony who was very friendly. I was reluctant to leave the countryside.





In between the times of quiet there was plentiful food and coffee/tea breaks with biscuits or cake. We had evening prayer and morning prayer (optional!) and a time of worship before lunch yesterday after which we left. There was also one silent meal with accompanying music which I really enjoyed.
Retreat chapel
For me it was trying to find what worked in the quiet times. Without time walking I think I would have gone a bit stir crazy. I came home wondering what I had gained from this apart from 50 odd photos but actually there was more going on than perhaps I thought and I think that it will work its way out over the coming days and months. I was looking for something but often felt only frustration, though the leader was excellent and I have been on several of his courses in the past. Often retreats turn out to be not what you expect, though I tried to go without any real expectations.

I met such nice people. Some I knew vaguely, one lady was from my church, but others I'd never met before and there was one man! How brave was he? He's so interesting and he is like a beacon for MU and all they do!

Comments