Music - attempting to deconstruct two trance tracks!

Music - ah I could talk all day about it. Some while ago I spoke about certain note combinations that touch me, often making my stomach turn over. It is hard to explain but it happens in all sorts of music classical and the whole spectrum of modern music. But this morning I was listening to a trance track and it happened. It lasted only for a few seconds but rather than try and explain it (which I can't) here is a sample. I found the track on YouTube. The track begins to build at around 1.00 minute climaxing at 1.39/40 on the combination of notes that do it for me!


The start of certain songs also flip my stomach over (God Only Knows by The Beach Boys is one).

Another trance track (below) I want to talk about is off the same album Addicted to Trance but this is a far longer track from YouTube than on the album and great! Nothing much happens in the beginning, in fact you could say it's rather boring and monotonous (but you always know it's going somewhere). At 2.05 mins in the first peak arrives and carries the song along on one strand with added percussion. I like the subtle changes but the beat stays right through this track driving the music on. At about 5.21mins and again at 5.41 a second harmonising layer is added - my favourite bit! building and changing but never losing the sound. If you are still with it after that then well done - gold star! I know it's not everyone's type of music. I never set out here to annalyse a track but this is what it has turned into (blame my OU course in Humanities and the block on music - a great mix of music but a lot on classical and I chose the music option in my exam over poetry - what was I thinking? Right choice though).


 I think 80's electronic music was the start for me, groups like OMD, Kraftwerk, A Flock of Seagulls etc. Then I discovered trance and now it is my most played music. I write by it, dance to it and just listen. So many of those subtle mix changes have wonderful note combinations. I have a whole load of trance mixes on my YouTube playlist - some last over two hours (and no adverts!). I know a lot of them well and anticipate the changed now. Okay, I know I am getting anal on this subject.

In way of apology I will leave you with something easy on the ear.

One of only two Elvis tracks I will ever share with you! Did I say it had to be a happy song?




Comments