Thames Path walk - Teddington Lock to Kew Bridge (north bank)

Finally back on the Thames (Twickenham)
Well, already breaking my New Year's Resolution to write for one hour without distractions (I'm supposed to be editing my novel!) and here I am on Blogger but I've also spent a while on Facebook. So I thought I might as well carry on and finish blogging and then go and edit. We shall see.

Yesterday, as the weather was so lovely in my part of the world, hubby and I went out and walked another section of the Thames Path. I probably should have chosen a shorter section after not having walked such distances for a while and the fact that I've only just got over my cold (though still need handfulls of tissues). Anyway the route was Teddington Lock to Kew Bridge on the north side of the Thames which is about seven and half miles (longer after walking to bus stops and detour for lunch).

The first part was rather disappointing as we had to walk a long section from Teddington town following main roads and we could easily have just started at Twickenham! It was so great to finally be back on the river but this was quite a contrasting walk - some very boring sections and some lovely sections. There was a great park at Radnor Gardens housing a gazebo from Horace Walpole's time (he was a writer, politician and aesthete). We passed Radnor School - very posh independent and overlooking the Thames. Imagine going to a school like that? Back onto the river we were then at Eel Pie Island, haunt of the Rolling Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd (all played there). There is a small footbridge to the properties there. Further on we passed The White Swan pub whose board says that if the road is flooded to ring the number given and they will open a door by the cellar to let you in! Nearby is Orleans House now a gallery but though it was temping to stop and look around I didn't think there was time. The days are so short and it gets dark early, so this one is on the 'places to visit' list. We carried on to Marble Hill Park (I think the house was closed) and approached Richmond with the Star & Garter dominating the skyline. As we reached Richmond Bridge it seemed prudent to come off here and have a break for hot drinks and a snack.

We found a small cafe which look hopeful but I struggled to find something veggie (no hot dishes) but they did me a cheese and tomato panini and the hot chocolate was gorgeous. (Their toilet facilities were excellent - always a plus for me!)

Then it was back on the trail, walking under Twickenham Bridge and Richmond footbridge and lock to Isleworth Ait, along the terrace of Town Warf Pub which must be lovely in summer. We headed towards the slipway at Isleworth by All Saints church and on up to Syon Park. We walked through the park (house is closed for the winter but I have been here a few times) and out to the Grand Union Canal. Here there are twists and turns on the route as we walked over footbridges and double backed on ourselves, saw the locks, the boatyards and finally found ourselves at the place where the canal meets the River Thames. Back to the river for the final haul to Brentford, home of the Musical Museum (also on the list of 'places to visit') and our end at Kew Bridge.

To say I was exhausted is an understatement. I nearly fell asleep on the bus home and my legs ached so much. They still do! But it was a lovely day. The sun was out the whole time and it seemed everyone was out making the most of the weather before returning to work/school.

Terrace Garden, White Swan pub
Eel Pie Island footbridge

Orleans House


Richmond footbridge and weir

Town Warf pub

All Saints, Isleworth

Grand Union Canal

Locks

Boatyard

Grand Union Canal meets the River Thames

The Musical Museum, Brentford

Comments