Book review - The Sea Sisters

The Sea Sisters by Lucy Clarke is a great novel. I loved it from the beginning and the further I got into it the more I didn't want to put it down.

This book was a Richard & Judy summer book club read in 2013 and has been sitting in a drawer under the bed! The story revolves around sister Katie (the eldest) and Mia (the youngest). Very close as children they later begin to drift and find it hard to get along. Starting with the death of Mia the book concentrates on Katie's need to know what really happened to her sister during her travels with her best friend Finn. That she died in Bali, a country not on her list to visit, is a mystery. Katie uses Mia's travel journal to follow in her sister's footsteps and in doing so comes across some family secrets of her own.

The book follows the journey from both Mia's perspective and Katie's, so you see both sides of the relationship. Gradually the plot unravels and the love/hate relationship between the sisters plays out through their many encounters before Mia decided to travel and we find out why she left.

Although I guessed some of the plot it never spoiled the enjoyment and I thought the way the relationship between the sisters panned out was very well written. I identified with both sisters at different times.

I would definitely ready another book by this author. It was a pleasure to read.

Comments