Raiding the CD collections for THAT song

Old but still working......like me!
Had one of those sleepless two hour slots last night. Came downstairs and decided to look for a particular music track to play. It is being used on a TV advert right now and I really wanted to hear it all the way through. So there I am rummaging around in my CD collection. I remembered that the track was on a CD that had once or still did belong to one of the kids. I thought I'd rescued it when it was being binned for the charity shop and was probably one of the Now That's What I Call Music series. Could I find it? Heck no.

I could hardly start raiding the kids room at 4.15am so I had to wait. I played something else and sloped off back to bed at 6am and resurfaced near 9am. The kids had all left the house for work (I still call them kids though they are young men......apparently!). On raiding their CD collections two things came to me. The first was finding two of my Feeder CD's on techie son's shelf (huh) and the other was how small their CD collections are. At their age I had been collecting records since I was fifteen and before that with pocket money. I have over 200 vinyl LP's, case loads of seven inch singles, cassettes and then of course came CD's. One son has half a shelf full, the other probably no more than 20.

I didn't find the CD I wanted (I will quiz them both tonight - hate things I can't solve). But what occurred to me during my elicit roam through my kids' music collection was how many DVD's one had - tons of box sets and of course games for consoles. Music, so I am told by them, is now downloaded off the internet onto their computers and phones etc. They no longer need a CD player or music centre. Neither of my kids have anything to play CD's on except their computers.

I find all that so odd. It's an age thing obviously. I do have a couple of things downloaded on my laptop and some albums on my phone and I also listen to music on Spotify and YouTube and have many playlists on both but I still regularly use my music centre.

Recently my elder son bought a vinyl EP for the first time. It was some offer which came with something else he wanted! He had nothing to play it on and certainly didn't know how to use my turntable! It's nice to know I still have my uses.

Ah things have come a long way but you still can't beat vinyl. Each scratch has a memory and takes me back to my youth. I wouldn't have it any other way. Do you still have your old record collection? Do your kids like your music? Do you like theirs?  Tell me.

Oh the track I was searching for? Here it is - see, the internet has it's used too!


Comments