Books and singing

There is a certain amount of self indulgence in my reading lately. Just enjoyed another Andrea Camilleri, this one The Snack Thief, and really enjoyed it. For me it isn't even the crimes that Inspector Montalbano solves that make these books great. It is more the antics and personality of the Inspector that I love. He is a maverick, rude to his staff, often indifferent to his girlfriend and he gets away with it. His love of food runs throughout the series - for him it is an orgasmic experience. The man makes me laugh, as do certain other characters, such as Catarella who can't be trusted with anything other than the switchboard yet he still manages to drive his boss to distraction (which isn't actually that difficult at the best of times).

I have another three of these books but I like to read things in sequence so I'll have to see if the library has the ones between this and the next ones I have.

Speaking of sequencing, I knew there was a good possibility that the next Book Club read might be House and Sea's End by Elly Griffiths, whose books I adore. I had one of hers in the cupboard and I thought this one (Dying Fall) came before the Sea's End one so I read it. I thought from the beginning that things seemed to have move on quickly. While the stories are stand alone relationships run throughout the series. Anyway I realised this book was actually two after the last one I'd read. I still enjoyed it though. And now the Sea's End book has arrived and I've already started it. I feel I'm filling in the gaps but I just love the plots, the characters and the humour.

Tomorrow I'm off to sing in Kingston town centre with Euphonix Community Choir in aid of Marie Curie. Here is a link to our flash mob we did last month (we come around the middle of the video) For some reason the usual YouTube link won't work so hope this does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KSifFaaI9g&feature=youtu.be 


Comments