Clear-out day....multiple buys and out of date food

Still jam packed but with order!
Spent the morning clearing out the understairs cupboard. We use the cupboard as an overflow for packets, cans, jars and boxes of food because our kitchen is so tiny there isn't enough cupboard space. Sorting this cupboard has been on my list for eighteen months and has been coming to a head lately as I scrap around under there trying to find things. Not only that but hubby bulk buys so we have five packets of granulated sugar. Because no one can find what they want they assume we don't have it so go out and buy another. This also means that often we end up with two of the same item
open at the same time. It's been driving me mad.

It's a nice feeling when a job has been completed. I so enjoyed chucking away the out of date stuff, cleaning the shelves and putting things back in a logical order (I mean all pasta together instead of spread throughout the cupboard). I not only found bulk buys in granulated sugar but also caster sugar, Jif Lemon Juice, pasta and jars of honey (I feel a massive cake bake coming on!).

I have re-sorted everything and what is more I have labeled the shelves so everyone knows where everything is. I was pleased to find a jar of marmalade which I knew was in there somewhere.

With four adults living here I guess it's no wonder the cupboards get so bad. Everyone buys stuff as they have different tastes and often cook for themselves but all packets and jars get shoved in any old how. I wonder how long the cupboard will stay tidy. I'm a good mind to tell the family that they can't buy anything else until we eat through what we have!

Now to tackle the kitchen cupboards. I know there are at least two out of date jars malingering on the top shelf.

Comments