Stars, planets and all that

No, I didn't see the partial eclipse last Friday and boy was I sick of TV presenters going on about how good it was! I switched off, couldn't bear to see their snug faces!

I did see the total eclipse in 1999 in Cornwall while on holiday. That one was touch and go but the cloud parted long enough for us to view it through our special glasses. The darkness was the eerie thing.

I love looking at the night sky - all those stars and planets. When I get up in the night (those sleepless ones that demand hot tea), the first thing I do is look outside to see if the sky is clear and then admire the stars. My son (the techie one) has a telescope but it hasn't seen action for a while. He knows a thing or two about the solar system but the other night he was of no help at all. I asked him what that planet was above the moon. He was too involved in some destructive online game with friends to bother. Hubby was out and my sporty son would have no idea. I went outside and took a photo, not easy on maximum zoom while trying to keep the damn camera still.

A friend on Facebook reliably told me the planet was Venus. So here is my photo.

The moon, and that up there is Venus!

Comments